Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never could carry the lightweight aluminum collapsable sticks with the ski pole grips. I need a heavy piece of wood. I found this in the corner of an antique store a while back and asked if it was for sale, the lady said $5. It was really dusty, dry, and had spots of white paint all over it. I got it home and rubbed it with steel wool and oil. I put the lanyard hole in it with a dremel(dumb idea, it was late at night) and after breaking the third bit I got the cordless drill. It has some scars that really show with the oil but it is still solid. I think it's cedar, 4' long and heavy enough.

G

·
0 Posts
Looks like a good stout one, and should serve you well.

When I hunt, the old fashioned wood and leather cross sticks are usually with me. Ever since shooting BP guns...I learned how useful those are. They are tall enough to be of use scrambin' up and down the hillsides that are my home. And sure are nice to rest a rifle on for a long shot..and much steadier then then the newer monopods.

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Over in germany they have volksmarches.Every weekend they have them in every town. The forrest service over there makes wide trails through the mostly planted patches of woods and they take walks in large numbers. They give out little medalions about the size of a nickle with spikes on them so you can stick them to your walking stick and many have them covered with them.
I always find me up a big stick when I cross a river. You plant it in the water on the down stream side and walk ahead then plant it again until you get across helps you keep your balance on the slick rocks and against the current.
I could not imagine trying to hunt and use a walking stick .I have a rifle in one hand the other is to grab tree limbs and huckle berry bushes and the likes to keep my balance or help pull my self up the hill a stick would get in the way terribly.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Barb and I have been using saguaro rib walking sticks for some time. Strong but light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts