Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Wadcutter goodness

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Deerspy 
#1 · (Edited)
Two days of rain here in western Pa so I loaded 500 rounds of .38 Special wadcutters and did the action on my new to me Model 629-2. As good as it gets until I get to the range.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Whose wadcutters are you using? Used to use Western NV/West Coast Bullet - (became Xtreme bullets), now have some Hornady soft swaged ones. Not the best accuracy

Reactions: Boriqua
#5 · (Edited)
Hopper Full of Ammo!

Hey Mark,

Happiness! A hopper full of ammo!

Later, Mark

Attachments

#7 ·
I got a box of the Hornady wadcutters too. I have been using the Speer HBWC but the store was out. Will have to get some loaded to see how they compare to the Speer bullets

#8 ·
#10 ·
nfiofnpnfiofnpnfiofnp

Hey Mark,

Funny you should say such a thang...fixin' to go load a few 38-55's.......

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360
#14 ·
Trying to remember how many wadcutters I shot while practicing and competing in PPC! I started out with two, 2 cavity molds casting DEWCs but rapidly progressed to buying HBWC from National Bullet Company. NBC was local to me and less time casting translated into more time loading, practicing and competing.

My first press was a red C press, still have it somewhere, took a long time to load for a practice or a match. I wished for a Dillon 350 to speed things along but way out of the budget for a newly married rookie cop. Imagine my surprise when on Christmas morning I unwrapped a box that contained not a 350 but the new 450! That afternoon I set it up and cranked out a couple hundred. Got to the point I could spend an afternoon loading and shoot all week.

My load was the traditional 2.8 grains of Bullseye under the WC sparked by Federal SP primers. For practice I loaded in mixed range brass. For matches I loaded in Federal brass. Scores were the same but uniform brass was a mind settler.

I was an assistant Range Officer so lots of time at the range. I would shoot 1 or 2 practice matches, a league and 1 or 2 (usually 1) competition a week. I shot in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, even Canada. I was able to secure a carry permit for Canada.

I used 4 revolvers, a M36-1 for the Off Duty leg; a 4”, 686 for Duty leg; a 6”, 686 for the Distinguished leg; and a full blown Davis PPC for the regular match. Eventually I noticed my Distinguished and regular scores were about the same so I used the 686 in both.

Lots of comraderie at the matches. One day I drove 3 hours to a match only to realize I had left ALL of my ammunition on the bench at home. As I was packing up to leave, the fellow who battled me for the top spot stopped me and asked why I was leaving. I told him. He walked away laughing. I was peeved but before I got everything loaded up he was at my truck with a two wheeler and enough ammo for me to shoot all the legs that day. He told me “2.7, Bullseye, wouldn’t be a match without you, I want my brass back. “

Seems he had forgotten his loads once and was staked. Since then he always bright enough ammunition to shoot twice through. After that, so did I. And I loaned it out twice.

I have no idea how many wadcutters I shot but I do know that for some reason I saved my spent primers, 3 five gallon pails!

Kevin

#16 ·
What powder & charge do you use? I have never loaded any wadcutters other than the hollow based type. Since the hollow base creates more case volume, do you have to lower the charge weight with them compared to DEWC?

#21 ·
I love wadcutters ! I hadn't ever messed with them until very recently, when I read an article in a gun mag by John Taffin about some from Matts Bullets. I ordered them and they are easily the most accurate bullets I've ever fired in 38 special. Nice, pretty holes too. They are 157 gr. and they function great over 3.7 gr. of Win231.

-

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.