Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you wish Model 29's were still this cheap! I'd even buy one with a lock for this price.

And how about you .41 Magnum guys

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
David,
Sign me up for as many as you can get at that price! nfiofnp
Thought you might also enjoy these 1950's ads.
Don

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
NO...NO......Not "the lock" !!!!!!!!!! :eek: NEVER!!!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
TL,
Glad you saved that clamshell case and the correct sight-adjustment tool. ;)
Your original investment has appreciated handsomely!
hpzl;n;
Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
Below is a photo of the printing block used for the first ad shown in this thread that appeared in the December 1956 issue of American Rifleman. The block is stamped DEC 1956 on the back. It was purchased from a factory employee many years ago.

Bill

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, before I die, I HAVE TO SEE THE STUFF IN DOC's HOUSE!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Don: Hanging on to my model29 through hard times becuase of my appreciation for it has kinda placed it beyond monetary value.

The adds you posted are the same as in my 1956 Shooters Bible.

Oh yeah, during the "Dirty Harry" craze, when 29 prices went sky high, I managed to get a 4 inch 29-2 for $290. I felt I'd made a deal, still have it too.

Hank

·
Registered
155 Posts
i dont want to rain on anyones parade but $140 in 1956 is about $1,100 in 2008 dollars and $126 in 1960 is over $900 in 2008 dollars.
so its not like they were giving them away back in the day

still very cool items.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
That is pretty interesting El Toro. I haven't adjusted my brain for the rate of inflation - still, I wouldn't take $900. for my model 29.

Hank

·
Registered
35 Posts
Purchased a .44 Target in '56 for full retail of $85. It was a dream to shoot but too bulky for carry. When the Model 39 was announced I placed an order and was told delivery would take a year so I ordered a .44 military ($75) for carry and still have it. A couple of years later I purchased a 1917 for $25 via mail order. Guess those were the good old days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts