Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a thread to show off our Vintage Leather Holsters? I know the trend today is toward the more practical Plastic holsters, designed for the more practical plastic pistols, but Some of us old Poops, and some younger ones also, really appreciate the skills and designs of the old time holster makers, and the present time makers also, that used, and still use leather to make works of art in making holsters. Here is one that I recently acquired for one of my S&W 83/8" bbl. revolvers.
Sut:)

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Howdy Folks:

Sut, that's a great looking rig (especially for that looOOoong barrel).........and I think this is a wonderful idea for a thread...........thanks for coming up with it.

Indeed, some holster makers and saddle makers (leather workers) can produce real works of "art" with their craft and I've always appreciated that skill.

Here's a rig that was already old when I came across it back in the 1960's. A friend of mine on the Rez had it in the bottom of a tackle box where it had layed since his dad put it there many years prior and he couldn't remember when or where he had obtained it. They thought it was kinda humorous that I liked it so much and they gave it to me.

Indeed, it's a bit too fancy for me to actually strap it on........I would feel like a real greenhorn tenderfoot with something like that hanging from my hip......just something about it caught my young eye (IMO it's beautiful). I've stored it away and considered it a "treasure" over all these years.

Talk about being a "rhinestone cowboy"......chuckle IM005433SAHolsterFancy.jpg

I can't remember exactly where, but sometime many years ago I also came across this one IM005435SAHolster.jpg

BTW, the above two rigs both fit Colt SAA type handguns.

This one, I did use many years ago. It carried a .38 S&W top break.........and later, it would occasionally carry a K-38 (that's why it has two sets of strap snaps) IM005436TBHolster.jpg

Yep, they're not plastic and they're not modern.........we can't call em "tactical" either.........but, whatchathink...........?

Regards All,

Geezer

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Didn't think the thread would die so soon. Here is an unusual one, a Bucheimer Made to fit a S&W .38 hammerless (Lemon Squeezer). I liked the holster so well that I set out to find and buy a gun to fit it, and couldn't find out what it fit. Later I found that it fit one of my Lemon Squeezers perfect.
Sut

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I don't have any old leather around but the biggest share of mine is from El Paso Saddlery. I do like their stuff.
I have bid on some vintage leathern on e-bay but was always a day late and a dollar short on bids. Any tips on what to look for in vintage leather?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Mick:
My advice on what to look for in Vintage Holstersis, whatever flops your mop, fits your guns, inovative design, good workmanship, and condition. I can think of no other reason to collect Vintage holsters. It gives me a good feeling when I find a good one, have cleaned it up, and am holding, and admiring it. You might have guessed that I like the basketweave, and tooled ones.
Sut

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I love vintage holsters! So much more character than the new plastic stuff!

I've got a couple that I really like. This old Hunter came with the Model 36 I picked up a couple of years ago. Not a very good picture of it though.........

And this is an older Smith & Wesson branded one that I carry the SP101 in..........

And this older Safariland that houses this older Security Six..............

And maybe not vintage, but without a doubt my favorite of the whole bunch. Thanks again Mick!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I'm talking about. LeMat,That well used, well taken care of patena on that Safariland that holds the Security Six is hard to come by or describe,but gives you a good feeling. Don't think a plastic holster of the same age would do much in that respect. The New holsters by the great makers also flop my mop. Here is one of that type holding a S&W mod. 27.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You Folks are causing me to drool all over my keyboard. Here is a Hunter holster holding a S&W .38/.44. Wish I knew more about the stag grips that have eight hash marks, five on one grip, and three on the other. the .38/.44 is a 1930, one year older than I am, and the holster?
Sut

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
BC2,

So cool that it gives me chills!!

Well unfortunaately it doesnt give me chills .

It gives me 'the fever' , the buying fever . You evil doers .

Now I've gone and put bids on two vintage holsters . Not as fancy as some of ur beauties .

I'm not sure what's worse - If I win the bids or if I lose .

My money keeps "slip sliding away" ............................

Regards ,
George

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Well unfortunaately it doesnt give me chills .

It gives me 'the fever' , the buying fever . You evil doers .

Now I've gone and put bids on two vintage holsters . Not as fancy as some of ur beauties .

I'm not sure what's worse - If I win the bids or if I lose .

My money keeps "slip sliding away" ............................

Regards ,
George
You are SooOOoo "Hooked" Amigo..................and I don't feel sorry for you, either.........LOL

"Misery Loves Company".......and as you've noted on some other strings, it's an easy crossover addiction to go from guns to unusual ammo to holsters to reloading equipment/supplies/acutriments to knives.............and even to Zippo Lighters (I also collect Zippos and I'll just bet that I'm not the only one that does around here).

Nope, you'll get no sympathy from me......chuckle

Have Fun Amigo,

Geezer

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Not sure if these qualify as 'vintage' since I don't have a way to date them, they're yard sale finds. George, you best go fetch yourself a damp, cool cloth, I only paid $5 for the Bianchi and $2 for the A.E. Nelson! :D

Both of these are 'front break-away' style holsters specially formed for S&W K-frames. I understand these were popular with cops (you retired LEO's chime in any time), so I sort of collect them for the son when I come across things of this nature.

Bianchi for a 6" K-frame

A.E. Nelson made for a 4" K-frame. It looks to be the older of the two.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts