Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a tour of the lower mainland the postal service delivered my little Victory yesterday. Well pleased with it. All matching numbers, and after removing the grips I see they are numbered to the gun too. At Serial number V1146XX I think we are looking at August/September 1942. The WB inspectors stamp is Waldemar Broberg it seems. An early years name before GHD. (was that the usual stamp? Running on memory here) Inner frame under grips just only a small P and V. Too early for an S anywhere I believe, but I stand to be corrected on any of this.

The top frame is stamped Property of United States, and it then has the "Broad Arrow C" for the Canadian Military, which is why, as a Canuck, I chose this one. It is chambered in 38S&W as per usual for our market during the war.

Please excuse the number of pictures, but people who are interested in these things want to see this stuff. We all know what they look like but each one has its own variations and story. Hope you'll enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very nice example. Well preserved and all-original.

I think we’re still debating whether the Canadians property-stamped these when they got them as Lend-Lease allocations, which they weren’t supposed to, or after 1945 when the decision was made to write off the revolvers and they became Canadian property. The answer is probably somewhere in the Canadian archives.

The British and South Africans, and mostly the Australians, were attentive to this and only property/acceptance-stamped direct-purchase revolvers until guns started arriving with a US property marking.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind comments and, of course, good to hear your input Absolom. Hard to say when some over eager amouror would have stamped it in Canada. Checky blighters. I know I had a time transfering it!

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Looks Great! Like the pics...would rather see many versus just one. Congrats and enjoy. Range report hopefully soon?:)

Reactions: Brassmonkey

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I have brass, lead and dies for this caliber. Hope to get to the range with it soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts