Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a nice new revolver. Sadly, I know little to nothing about these revolvers. It looks to me to be a victory model, serial V4341XX. The top on the left is stamped "US PROPERTY C.H.D" and the right side of the barrel says ".38 S. AND W. SPECIAL CTG". I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this revolver, such as general date of manufacture or current value.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
They were made for the Allied forces in WW2. The British generally got one with a 5" barrel in 38 S&W. The American forces (mainly Navy), defense industry, railroad and other non front line forces used a 4" in 38 Special. Don't have a reference in front of me but yours was probably made in 41 maybe 42-44. By this time I believe the grips were walnut, round top, not checkered, if original

·
Registered
198 Posts
They were made for the Allied forces in WW2. The British generally got one with a 5" barrel in 38 S&W. The American forces (mainly Navy), defense industry, railroad and other non front line forces used a 4" in 38 Special. Don't have a reference in front of me but yours was probably made in 41 maybe 42-44. By this time I believe the grips were walnut, round top, not checkered, if original
+1

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Giving an estimate on value is difficult without pictures. Overall condition, all original parts, and whether or not it was refinished or altered affect value greatly. The 38 Special guns tend to bring more than the British revolvers. I know I can buy a nice 4" Victory model at the gun shows for $500- 600. It's getting harder to find them for less. OTOH I have seen beat up, unaltered versions sell for $250 and thought it too much to pay. Again... pictures please.
Here's an interesting link with lots of info on the Victory. http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/victory_model_smith_and_wesson.htm

And BTW welcome to the forum.

John

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Premium Member
11,635 Posts
I have a Victory with a 5" barrel, s/n V4509xx that shipped in 11/43. Yours prob shipped Oct/Nov of the same year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine has a 4" barrel and is .38 special.
October 1943 is indeed the best guesstimate, and with the US PROPERTY stamp it is a Victory shipped to a military destination, almost certainly the Navy.

This is the most common variant of the US Victory; guns with the earlier US NAVY or no topstrap stamping tend to get a bit of a premium. As such, condition is the main determinant, together with all-matching serial numbers including the back of the right grip panel. A standard to very good condition all-original gun will usually go between 300 and 500. But as a buyer you can get lucky below, and also find fantasy prices asked far above.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
It appears to be refinished in blue. The grips are post war commercial, the butt swivel/pin are missing(?). In my view you have a refinished M&P and pursuing proper grips and butt swivel are waste of money and effort. By the way it is GHD for Colonel Guy H. Drewry. As with most legacy guns I say maintain it as received.

A belated welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What would you estimate its value at?
If the gun is mechanically sound and tight, maybe $300 or so as a shooter.

The stocks are pre-1968 diamond magnas and actually worth more than the originals would have been (given that the gun has lost its collector appeal). From the asymmetrical wear and the type of damage to the right panel, I’m fairly certain this gun was purchased as surplus, “upgraded”, and carried by a police officer in the post-war decades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you gius so much for the replies. Just as a final question, I know nothing about the grips. Would you guys know what kind of frame these are for, or maybe even the value of them?

·
Super Moderator
33,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

1 - 15 of 15 Posts