Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a victory revolver and was not sure if it has been rechambered to 38 spec. I attached a couple pictures. If this has been rechambered to 38 special, will firing the round hurt the gun mechanically or should I just fire .38 s and w? Also my firing pin wiggles a little is this normal, and Is dry firing okay for this revolver or should I pick up snap caps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
It doesn't look like it. Try putting a .38 special in one of the chambers; I bet it won't go all the way in. Snap caps are always good. I use these.

The top ones not the plastic ones for the .22.

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
Some of the conversions are also "sleeved". It is really hard to see the .38SW cut.

If you look closely you can see the "sleeve" at the chamber at 5:30 on the cylinder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So mine has not been rechambered then? I will have to double check when I can get out to buy ammo. What is that line in the middle of my cylinder chamber then? Also if I bought a 38 special yoke and cylinder and installed it, I should be able to shoot specials in this properly?

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
The line inside the chamber is the "cut out" for the .38SW round. It is fatter and shorter than the .38 special.

Guess which one is the .38SW round.

If you change out the cyllinder for .38 specials and not the barrel you will be shaving lead off of the .38 special round as it goes through the forcing cone.

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
Now I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn Express since I retired in 2006 so I could be all wrong. But buy a .38 special round and if it fits you're good to go. If not get some .38 SW's and have an absolute ball at the range.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The line inside the chamber is the "cut out" for the .38SW round. It is fatter and shorter than the .38 special.

Guess which one is the .38SW round.

If you change out the cyllinder for .38 specials and not the barrel you will be shaving lead off of the .38 special round as it goes through the forcing cone.
Isn't that the other way around? .38 S&W is a .361 diameter bullet, and .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet?

Thus wouldn't the .38 Spec. go through the forcing cone easier?

Or are you referring to the end of the forcing cone clipping off the tip of the bullet as the cylinder rotates?

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
Isn't that the other way around? .38 S&W is a .361 diameter bullet, and .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet?

Thus wouldn't the .38 Spec. go through the forcing cone easier?

Or are you referring to the end of the forcing cone clipping off the tip of the bullet as the cylinder rotates?
Now I'm confused. If the .38 SW is a .361 diameter and the .38 Special is a .357 diameter which is the fatter? When you shoot a .38SW through a .38 Special barrel the forcing cone shaves off lead from the .38SW.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Could it be that if the cylinder was bored for 38 S&W, which is fatter, and you shoot a 38 Special, the Special is potentially not lined up correctly to enter the forcing cone exactly head on, resulting in lead shaving?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.