Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from South Georgia . I think my date question has been answered by reading through the forms. But I would still like to know more .I am pretty certain my pistol was shipped in 1943 .. There is a series of numbers underneath the yoke what do these mean ? Then the letters and numbers on the backstrap with the arrows, are these export and import marks? There is also the letters stamped WB on the left side of the butt plate before the serial number and lanyard loop, maybe an inspectors initials? I confirmed it is still chambered in 38 S&W and not 38 special. This pistol was in a a bag (in parts) with some other items of my dad's when he passed away in 2007. I put it back together the other night. It is not much to look at but it checks out in all other areas .serial numbers match, It is tight and has good cylinder look up, the internals work like a sewing machine The rifling is a little on the worn side. I kind of dig the catalin grips. I need to find a grip screw and it will be complete. You guys are a wealth of knowledge ..thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
That is a nice looking lend lease Victory. WB is the inspector's initials of Waldmar Bromberg. The numbers in the yoke area are assembly numbers used to keep parts together during manufacture. The other odd stamps were made after manufacture. I'm wondering if the NZ on the hip of the frame denotesa New Zealand gun? Others will join in with more info. Here is a good site with Victory revolver info: The Victory model Smith and Wesson
Welcome to the forum. I'm impressed you put that puppy back together.

John

PS: I've seen grips like those Catalins before, on another Victory. In my ignorance I thought they were aged Ivory! :)

Reactions: Grim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information man . Assembly was not too bad . I graduated gunsmith school in 94. I don't work as a gunsmith anymore but I have good knowledge of the workings of firearms and all of the parts minus the grip screw were there.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS: I've seen grips like those Catalins before, on another Victory. In my ignorance I thought they were aged Ivory
They are a lot like Bakelite .John Wayne loved them . Can't find a lot of info on them but I think they are pretty neat. I think one guy made them as well as formulated the material.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Does the gun still have the United States property marking on the topstrap? At that serial, all of the 5” British Service models were so marked.

Since these Lend-lease guns remained theoretically Uncle Sam’s, they were generally not property-marked by the receiving country.

So there’s been discussion among collectors whether New Zealand may have stamped them later, after the war, like the Australian S&W’s, which didn’t get a property stamp until being refurbished in the 1950s.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Greetings from FL mate..

Thewelshm

Reactions: jeepnut and Grim

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. Great piece of history there.

Reactions: Grim
1 - 10 of 10 Posts