Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a smith and wesson 66 which by looking at the bore and frame was brand new (no scratches, perfect bore, clean cylinder, etc.). In my excitement, I didn't delve any deeper. Well, at home I was clicking it on some snap caps. In DA it was really smooth. In SA the trigger was very, very light. No problem till about the 5th click in SA mode and then halfway through the hammer fall it caught on the DA sear. I have found that this is an intermittent problem with this gun.

Upon closer inspection, I found a screw in the side plate which is all chingered up. My guess is someone did a bad trigger job.

What do you all suggest? A costly problem, or one of adjustment? Any recommendation on a good smith to help me sort this out? The gun is just beautiful and I would like someone who would put some care and attention to detail while working on her.

I'm new to collecting Smith and Wessons and would appreciate the help! Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd think this is the reason someone traded it away, someone played with the lock work. It doesn't sound that screwed up as it works mostly...
You are dry firing with the cylinder closed correct?, as this will eliminate the bolt catching the hammer.
Take the side plate off and watch how the action works, maybe you will see something out of alignment, or bent. Cock it in single action and hold the hammer back with your thumb, watch the bottom of the sear and trigger areas where they come together, as you squeeze the trigger.
I'd look at is to make sure the sear has the proper air gap between the sear and trigger foot. This gap must be .01 on the front and .013 on the rear (measured with hammer at rest). If the gap is less there will be a binding which might be what's happening. To fix this you file the bottom of the sear maintaining the angle.
Also I'd tighten the strain screw all the way in, plus I'd look at the rebound spring, as you do have a light trigger. Maybe the trigger doesn't have the proper resistance, or the springs where cut or changed, things like that.
Good luck, I'm sure it's something simple.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts