Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else read Venturino's article on the .44 special, "The .44 special Ain't So Special"? It is in the latest American Handgunner mag. Wow. it really is heretical! He challenges everyone from Elmer and Skeeter on down. I think he wrote it just to stir the pot. I

If you don't subscribe you can read it on line. Just google mike Venturino and .44 special. I like Duke OK but think he may be a little two-faced on this topic as he has sung the praises of the .44 special before. :shock:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gun writers have to make a living, when they run out of subjects to wright about any thing go's. I have never put to much stock in what they have to say. :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
When I saw that article , I said to my self. "a page out of Charlie Askins book" Charlie would love to stir the pot with articles downing the 30-06 and other contriversal subjects that were bound to be read by irate supporters.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True Jim...but the sacred cow .44 special! Wow!

If Duke is down on them I'll take his stable full at a good price!

G

·
0 Posts
I just wish they had made a .41 Special....

I refuse to buy American Handgunner ever since the Charles Petty article about the IL....that was the one that frosted me. And the one that convinced me that AH was only there for the advertisor's and not the subscribers or readers.

So if Duck Ventorino is strirring the pot...then The Duck will attract the attention that he's already anticipating ;). Always wondered how he got the same nickname as English Bob...perhaps Lil' Bill gave it to him :mrgreen:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Old Mike is just stirring the pot some. He did a similar story a couple of years back. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it. They probably just did a reprint of the older article cause it gathered in alot of response which is good for their sales.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dan Rather Journalism.

Controversy for the sake of controversy is hollow stupidity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Venturino has become a flake.
He has his head so far up Clint Smiths anal colum he can't write a
story with singing Smith's praises.
He's become too arrogant to be considered a vaild writer.

Anyone who tries to re-name himself the "Duke" is a wingnut.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Opinions and voting stubs showing you voted for Obama...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mike, doesn't get me goin' 'cause I don't read his stuff. He's a noodle-head in my way of thinking. I can't ever warm to his writing.

I don't understand the virtue of "creating an issue" out of thin air.

Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Scanned the article at the newstand..... Didn't even finish it.... what pulp crap. Venturino must be paid by the word.....

Like so many of the writers of today he's an "Instant Expert, Just Add Ink...."

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Xfuzz said:
Venturino has become a flake.
He has his head so far up Clint Smiths Dark Cavity! colum he can't write a
story with singing Smith's praises.
He's become too arrogant to be considered a vaild writer.

Anyone who tries to re-name himself the "Duke" is a wingnut.
kfjdrfirii ........................... nvnpngp xfuzz nailed it!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sebago Son said:
Scanned the article at the newstand..... Didn't even finish it.... what pulp crap. Venturino must be paid by the word.....

Like so many of the writers of today he's an "Instant Expert, Just Add Ink...."
Drew truer words were never spoken. I personally knew Elmer Keith, If you don't believe me ask dan. That man knew of what he spoke. The writers of today are rifle range PC :x correct experts.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I read the article. I read American Handgunner & Guns magazine, get the America Rifleman and used to subscribe to Guns and Ammo.
I dropped the later, as I just can't read it any longer. Handgunner and Guns are rapidly approaching my limits with their articles. The writers like "Duke" are getting politically correct, long winded and running out of fresh ideas. Now he covers machine gun topics in a handgun magazine. Sorry, but I don't shoot or care about machine guns.
Anyway, back to the 44 spl. he claims it's not special because it's not that accurate or that powerful. Then he says S&W doesn't sell many 44 spls in all the years of making revolvers.

Personally, the 44 spl is my favorite caliber, along side the 44 mag. I hand load the 29 and 629 for many hours of plinking pleasure. I agree with some of what he claims but over look most of what he writes.
As far a accuracy, a sidearm (revolver) was meant to be carried on ones person, as a defensive arm. A defensive arm would be only accurate enough to defend yourself or to fight to your rifle or better weapons. I don't care about 1" groups at 50 yards because a revolver is seldom fired at that distance. This is rifle territory.
Anyway the 44 out of my gun/hands are plenty accurate to drop anything about to take my life. I also do shoot 50+ yards with mine and hit the paper often...

Maybe he will fire up his Tommy gun for next months handgun subjects....again :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Roy Huntington is to blame. He's the editor and the one calling the shots. Basically the puppetmaster. He has found a group of so-called gunwriters that are dancing at the end of his string. He only answers to his advertisors and S&W via the Charles Petty article on the IL proves that point.

Huntington has to go. He's also the one responsible for creating Duck Ventorino. But hey, Duck and Chuck, along with Clinch...are all rich off of the subscribers. :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
843 Posts
Never liked Venturino's articles I read the magazine primarily because of Taffin. As was pointed out his machine gun articles seemed out of place I assume their are magazines that have the venue.

The article is an attempt to get read reminds me of a child acting badly to get attention.

According to Taffin they are not told what to write.

My biggest issue with today's writers is that they are used to advertise product and are rarely really objective. This is the magazines fault a friend of mine a retired writer told me this was his single biggest issue in deciding to quit writing.

Len

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't know Mike Venturino.

But I've known the .44 S&W Special for...almost my all my life.

I say sheep dip!

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
32,571 Posts
Keith44Spl said:

I say sheep dip!

Su Amigo,
Dave
LOL. Don't hold back, Dave, let us know how you really feel. My take is if the .44 Special wasn't special nobody would build firearms or load ammunition for it. ;) It does sound like it is a cartridge that just "gets the job done...Period!"

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WendyZXZ said:
Keith44Spl said:

I say sheep dip!

Su Amigo,
Dave
LOL. Don't hold back, Dave, let us know how you really feel. My take is if the .44 Special wasn't special nobody would build firearms or load ammunition for it. ;) It does sound like it is a cartridge that just "gets the job done...Period!"
Wendy, Sounds like you need to be on the lookout for a nice S&W 24, 624 in .44spl. I think you'll like it!! Might even become your goto gun?!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts