Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have more than I'll ever use and one of my hunt buddies called me and asked me if I had any to spare. Of course I do for a price.....

I just sold an 8 pound unsealed jug of Varget for $380.00. I paid $130 for it and I bought 3 8 pounders then. Still have 2 and 4 one pound jars.

Not a bad profit, 3 times basically what I bought it for and like I said, I'm awash in propellants anyway I have a whole 20 foot long shelf of 8 pound and 1 pound containers of about every propellant commonly used including 20 pounds of Unique and 10 pounds of Western 209.

Reminding me of the Obama gun crap when I sold the AK's at a gun show in the parking lot for 4 times what I paid for them.

Guess I'll be taking Amy out to dinner for a Ribeye in as much as we have indoor dining now and I've had my Moderna shots...

Crazy stuff.

Reactions: memtb and Thewelshm

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I have more than I'll ever use and one of my hunt buddies called me and asked me if I had any to spare. Of course I do for a price.....

I just sold an 8 pound unsealed jug of Varget for $380.00. I paid $130 for it and I bought 3 8 pounders then. Still have 2 and 4 one pound jars.

Not a bad profit, 3 times basically what I bought it for and like I said, I'm awash in propellants anyway I have a whole 20 foot long shelf of 8 pound and 1 pound containers of about every propellant commonly used including 20 pounds of Unique and 10 pounds of Western 209.

Reminding me of the Obama gun crap when I sold the AK's at a gun show in the parking lot for 4 times what I paid for them.

Guess I'll be taking Amy out to dinner for a Ribeye in as much as we have indoor dining now and I've had my Moderna shots...

Crazy stuff.
you can trade primers for gold teeth right now...

thewelshm

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thewelshm
I know. Like we discussed via PM, if I could, I would have, no issue. I have bricks of Federal in every flavor from small pistil to large Rifle Magnum Match, 209 shotgun primers (for my inline), about 6 full 1000 boxes of CCI small rifle and a couple odd boxes of Fiocchi too.

I prefer Federals over any of them. Softer cups, easier ignition. Federals eliminate any light strike issues, especially the Match primers, which I prefer.

Wife said I'm sitting on a gold mine. Guess I am.

Never thought in my wildest dreams it would come to this. I won't sell off what I need to keep our hunting group in ammunition. Just got 200 Bergers in 30 cal in the other day and 2000 .224 Hornady spire point boat tails (223 flavor). 2000 cases sized, primed (Federal) annealed and ready to load. All the .223 cases are lake City match brass. I'll load them with 322. Have at least 12 pounds of that stuff.

I'm keeping a very low profile as to where I live. In fact, the only person on here that knows is Gerachecker (Greg). Don't need any issues with burglars. Might have to shoot one.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
LOL!!! Which proves to me that there is little to no difference between non-reloaders and reloaders when it comes to these shortages and price spikes. Either way you prefer, you better be prepared or you are gonna find yourself hurtin'. :cool:

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I know. Like we discussed via PM, if I could, I would have, no issue. I have bricks of Federal in every flavor from small pistil to large Rifle Magnum Match, 209 shotgun primers (for my inline), about 6 full 1000 boxes of CCI small rifle and a couple odd boxes of Fiocchi too.

I prefer Federals over any of them. Softer cups, easier ignition. Federals eliminate any light strike issues, especially the Match primers, which I prefer.

Wife said I'm sitting on a gold mine. Guess I am.

Never thought in my wildest dreams it would come to this. I won't sell off what I need to keep our hunting group in ammunition. Just got 200 Bergers in 30 cal in the other day and 2000 .224 Hornady spire point boat tails (223 flavor). 2000 cases sized, primed (Federal) annealed and ready to load. All the .223 cases are lake City match brass. I'll load them with 322. Have at least 12 pounds of that stuff.

I'm keeping a very low profile as to where I live. In fact, the only person on here that knows is Gerachecker (Greg). Don't need any issues with burglars. Might have to shoot one.... :eek:

Greg just texted me your address mate, see you next weekend, we are only going to stay a month though..

Thewelshm

Reactions: SidecarFlip

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Greg just texted me your address mate, see you next weekend, we are only going to stay a month though..

Thewelshm
Sounds like a plan, you can help me get the farming equipment ready....

On second thought, text me when you turn the corner off the pavement (a mile away). I'll let you experience a 338 Lapua with a 300 grain Scenar and I won't shoot you, I'll shoot your engine. Go right through your radiator, water pump and put a big hole in your block but don't be concerned, there is a Mopar dealer in the next town that will install a new motor for you. it's only money right? I'll even call Butch Iott and have him come out with his roll back and haul it there for you. Of course you'll have to pay for that.

Greg will tell you, I don't fool with little guns...... :p

This time of year, with fallow fields, I have a nice clean line of sight to the corner which is just one mile away and my 6.5 x 25 scope makes it all crystal clear.

I've read you cannot hear it coming as it's supersonic to 1000 yards but I've never been on the receiving end of one so I don't know if that is true or not. I cannot ask the insurgent who got capped by one, he's deceased.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I had a couple thousand pieces of 38 Special range brass that I bought several years ago for $20. Figured I'd sell or trade it at the gun shows. No dice. Nobody was remotely interested. Last month sold most of it for over $200. Oh how the times have changed!

Also seeing 9mm range brass being bought and sold for 10 cents apiece. The recycle bucket at the club used to be full of 380, 9mm, 10mm and 45 acp. Not any more!

John

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting side note.. When I sighted in the 338, at first I thought it was a terrible shooter. I was sighting it in at 350 yards which is the far limit of my range and at 350, it wasn't even on the paper even though I had bore sighted the scope and I'm thinking I bought an expensive dud.

The I started investigating the external ballistics and referred to the BC1-2 ballistics charts and come to find out that a 338 bullet (in this case a 250 grain Berger VLD Target/hunter) was climbing to 500 yards before the downrange trajectory levelled off, so I was actually shooting OVER the backstop entirely. I had to dial down the scope to compensate for the reduced yardage to get it to print on the target and I had just enough dial down on the scope to accomplish that. The scope I have on the rifle is a 'zero stop' scope and you cannot really dial it down all that much. It holds a 1" group at 350 which isn't bad. The 300 grain Lapua Scenars are about 1 1/4" at 35o wich is good enough for government work...

The Barrett 50 I had (and sold) had the BORS sighting system installed so it was automatically dialing down for the reduced yardage whereas the manual scope on the 338 had to be dialed down manually. Had to reset the scope zero to 350 yards and all was good. I'm not one to shoot 500+ but I can now dial the scope out to 1500 yards, not that it's easy to see that far because thermal aberration blurs the image. It's only possible to do that because I run a -20MOA scope rail on it, otherwise I'd run out of elevation adjustment.

I took it to Las Vegas some years back to an invitational long range shoot in the desert and was consistently hitting a 4x4 plate at 1500 plus. That was a while ago and it was fun. They had closed circuit TV on the target so you didn't have to trudge all the way down to see where it printed. Lots of Barrett 50's there too. The 338 is much less expensive to shoot compared to a 50 BMG. Right now, factory 338 rounds are around 7 bucks a pop if, you can find them. In reality, the 338 is a niche caliber and not much good for normal shooting. Like a 50. Just certain crazy people have them but I like large caliber guns, always have. Why I have a 460 too.

I use a 60X by 100 MM spotter when shooting and it too suffers from thermal aberration when it's warm out.

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure do, 16 pounds to be exact.

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me inventory what I have. I don't know how much of what I'd sell as I need some to reload with but I have a lot. Lots of everything including bullets and primers too.

Flip...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts