Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a I frame S&W 32 revolver chambered in 32 long and its in pretty nice shape.It has a 4 1/4 barrel and is 6 shot.I am curious if its worth selling,or mod'ing to a 3" barrel so its a carry gun.Your comments welcomed and thank you.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
In my opinion a .32 Long, while it would beat a sharp stick, is no kind of defense gun.

If you can post the serial number and more details, finish, over all condition, stocks type, we may be able to nail down a better idea of when it was made and an estimate of it's worth....

I will say this.... any origional finish, prewar gun that is otherwise unaltered should remain so to maintain it's value.

Drew

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree that it would be a poor choice of primary S/D gun,but it would only serve as a backup to a primary.As to the number it is 258*** [ dont trust leaving numbers on open site ] and the stocks have a bit of damage to them.They are original with the S&W logo made of brass [ I believe] and the overall would be about 90% with the only blemish to the plate side and that is a few pits that are mostly superficial.Lock up is as new,and shoots very well.Thank you and your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello scaatylobo258
According to my Serial number Reference, and the Partial serial number you provided I would say your revolver is from around 1917-1918 Time frame. The .32 S&W Long Caliber is super accurate and really fun to shoot. If it were mine, I would leave it as it is and just enjoy shooting it, as early models like this do not come along often these days. If you insist on carrying it for self protection The Standard .32 S&W Long Caliber ammo Loaded in factory form is on the weak side, but if you hand load or trust someone well enough that does, this caliber can be expanded on much and made into a respectable self defense load. Remember until the Late 1920's S&W did not Harden their cylinder's so I would use extreme Caution Loading this Little Guy Hot. I would Love to see a Picture of this neat little revolver if you have one to share ? I hope this helps, Hammerdown

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
OK, I'm posting because I am still trying to figure out how to use this Standard Catalog book. From the serial number provided, this would be a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903-5th change, correct?

If so, I concur on the date of manufacture. The book lists a value of $385 for one in excellent condition, but as I have said before, I think the listed prices in the book are already out of date. I would basically buy any Smith in decent shape for $385. FWIW, the book lists a ANIB example as worth $700.

Regardless, I don't think I would modify the gun. I would handload lots of target rounds for it and continue to shoot the old girl.

Somebody want to back me up here regarding the info i posted. I want to know if I am using this book correctly. Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know how you intend to carry it but whacking off an inch of barrel generally makes little difference. I'd leave it along for sure.

If you must have the shorter barrel then sell this one and purchase one off GunBroker with the shorter barrel. They are very common.

It would be nice to see a photo or two of the little revolver.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Information provided you earlier is inaccurate. This is probably not a WW1 era gun (1917-1918). During the period that S&W was run buy the Ordinance Department no commercial guns were to be built, and those that slipped through did not receive any Trade Mark stampings, which your gun clearly has.

I suspect your gun is from the immediate post WW1 period, and is more accurately described as an early Prewar Regulation Police, in fact one of the very first of it's type.

Looking these photos over and with the info you have provided I conclude that cutting, or otherwise altering this gun would be a tragedy. While not mint and completely correct, it is still a very nice collectible that could be easily made right and would appreciate in value.

To me the only significant detractor is the stocks. They should be of the "Single Screw Extension Type" and from this early post WW1 era they likely had no medallion. These stocks will be marked with a 1917 patent date on the butt.

The good news is that the stocks on the gun are in and of themselves somewhat collectible, being a set of "Semi-Floral, Hard Rubber Type" and they would appear to be intact.
It is difficult to tell from your photos, but if the medallion is actually metal and inset into the hard rubber, this could be a very rare variation. If however what appears to be a medallion is actually a section of hard rubber that has been 'brightened' with gold paint, then not so much.

There's nothing wrong at all with your Photo-ability.... these snapshots are not bad at all...

So without further discussion here they are.... I will post the best ones in the group.

Drew

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much for your knowledge and photo abilitys.Yes the stocks do have a metal medallion,but the right stock was repaired and has a chip at the bottom [ probably dropped ] and yes its a decent shaped revolver.Glad you have told me to not cut it,I might sell it instead if its worth a bit [ enought to pay for a 'shooter' ] not that this does not shoot well.Fact is it shoots better than my old eyes can pick up the very slim rear sight.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
That's too bad about the stocks.... the crack I mean..... hurts them quite alot.

If you decide to sell, and work out a price, drop me a line.... I might be interested.

Best regards,

Drew

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Way too nice of a gun to cut up. Leave her just the way she is.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you sebago son [ whats that mean ? ] but the only few items I am interested in are a a 3" Ruger SP101,a S&W 3" model 13 and or a 3" S&W 64 [ all 357's ].If you can hook me up with any of those I would be happy to include the .32 as partial payment on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.