Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I think it was shipped in 1949...a vintage year that I was born in. :cool: The only way to get a precise date is to request an Historian's letter of authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation (links to the form are in the sticky posts). Since it is an heirloom and you want your kids to respect that, get the letter. They cost $100 for non-members of the SCWA or SWHF, but you have nothing in it right now. It needs to be seriously cleaned. If you don't know how or don't want to partially disassemble it, find a gunsmith with a sonic cleaner and pay him/her to clean it thoroughly.

At the time it was made, it was known as the .38 Military & Police revolver. Many collectors call it the "pre-Model 10" because it became the Model 10 in 1958 and has the same engineering configuration. It has the short throw "speed hammer", AKA the "fish hook hammer" due to the shape of the hammer tang, that S&W introduced in 1948. If you carefully remove the grips (don't pry), the serial number should be stamped, sans the C, on the back of the right panel. If it matches the serial on the butt, cylinder and barrel, it is all original. I respect that it might sell for Jonesy's $500 estimate, but with the wear and corrosion I see, it would likely sell for $400 or less around here. But as was said, being an heirloom, it's priceless! Insure it for $700

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I think it was shipped in 1949...a vintage year that I was born in. :cool: The only way to get a precise date is to request an Historian's letter of authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation (links to the form are in the sticky posts). Since it is an heirloom and you want your kids to respect that, get the letter. They cost $100 for non-members of the SCWA or SWHF, but you have nothing in it right now. It needs to be seriously cleaned. If you don't know how or don't want to partially disassemble it, find a gunsmith with a sonic cleaner and pay him/her to clean it thoroughly.

At the time it was made, it was known as the .38 Military & Police revolver. Many collectors call it the "pre-Model 10" because it became the Model 10 in 1958 and has the same engineering configuration. It has the short throw "speed hammer", AKA the "fish hook hammer" due to the shape of the hammer tang, that S&W introduced in 1948. If you carefully remove the grips (don't pry), the serial number should be stamped, sans the C, on the back of the right panel. If it matches the serial on the butt, cylinder and barrel, it is all original. I respect that it might sell for Jonesy's $500 estimate, but with the wear and corrosion I see, it would likely sell for $400 or less around here. But as was said, being an heirloom, it's priceless! Insure it for $700
thank you so much for taking the time to respond.. will look into the letter.. thank you again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you also for taking the time to answer... going to get it cleaned up and work on getting that certificate .. thank you all...

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
very very true .. thank you setting up my will to the kiddos want them to know not to just give it away..if and if and when
$500 for the gun mate and $1m for the story that goes with it..Hand it to your "Kiddos" just like that..

welcome to the family forum mate...

thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
35,600 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I agree, if it came from family that is where the true value is!

Reactions: MitchW
1 - 11 of 11 Posts