Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S&W M-66-1 2 1/2" in 98% condition has been worth a bunch of money past ($850). That was several years ago. I have thought about shooting it more, but I keep wondering, how much it has risen in value in recent years? I recently read a price of $1700!!!! :oops: Could that be true? Maybe I'll just keep it in the safe, afterall!

I don't need the money......but it's only worth that if I can sell it at that price. What do you guys think about it????? Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
When you see prices like that at auction, it's often because people are battling, or there is a shill bidder in play.

A snub K frame 66 no lock is a great revolver, but even $850 seems a bit high to me. I checked recent completed auctions with numerous bits on GunBroker and they almost all completed below $850, with some notable exceptions.

One (a Performance Center Super K Lew Horton, as new in box) sold for over $6200. A few ended in the $1600 range due to some special collector interest.

You can search completed auctions on GunBroker if you login.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The 2 1/2 inch 66 does command some high prices. Even at 98% if you have the original box it could command 1200-1500. I have one that is NIB and wouldn’t sell it for 1500.00.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
Right now on Gunbroker there are 11, 2.5" model 66's. One is a like new with box, paperwork and cleaning kit, still in the wrapper, no dash 66. It has a bid of $1125. Another is a dash 2, like new with box, papers and cleaning kit. that one is at $905. There is one, gun only at $779 and another at $605, but they have days to go. The rest have no bids but start at $799.99 and up.

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I may be wrong on the price of $850, since I don't have the box, tools, or any of the extras. It is 98% not in Like New condition, but close. I put a couple boxes of .357 ammo thru it when I first got it. I probably should carry it. But it remains my one of my most prized guns, along with my S&W M-10-7 and M-67, and a Winchester 94 .30-30. I always bought guns that I really liked! Those would be the last to go......but after I'm dead. I'm down to only keepers now. :cautious: Bob

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well........maybe I should shoot it more, anyway! It's a nice revolver........like all my S&W's. The current price of a new Smith is also pretty high. In the end, it really don't matter much to me. The ones that I currently have ain't goin' nowhere, as far as I'm concerned. Just kinda curious......for insurance purposes. My homeowner's insurance covers my guns for $2000 only. I figure..... that I could buy a few for that money. Bob

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
It's a sellers market NOW. If you want too sell do it now. I sold my Colt 38 super that I paid $725 for earlier this year. I put it up for sale on GB thru my LGS and it sold for $1175.00. So I made a few bucks even after their 15% fee.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Market value is just that: what someone in the market will pay to acquire an item. I remember when people were paying $5k over sticker for the Chrysler PT when it first came on the market.

Pretty funny nowadays, especially when I remember what the Chrysler mechanics nicknamed them at the time: portable toilets.

When it comes to firearm prices, I am truly amazed at what people will pay. I laughed the first time someone told me their Python was worth $2k....10 years ago.

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really interested in the money. I really like having nice guns to shoot. I've only kept the best (to me) and sold off the rest. I've bought a couple Ruger semi-autos, 9mm. to carry and .22 to shoot, cheaply, and not waste the 9mm. carry ammo. I shoot the Smith's some, on occasion. Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts