Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's grandpa in TX inherited (from his deceased dad) a S&W K32 Masterpiece, .32 long caliber, double action, 6" barrel, pre 1950, SN K675xx, with the original box. He'll be looking to sell it & asked me to price it. I've done a Google search & found a few for sale in the past, but none currently. Give me input - thanks! :37-36ls:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,860 Posts
They are so rare, it is unlikely you will find any that have sold recently. I would give David Carroll (dcarroll.net) a call and ask. He will also take it on consignment for 20% of the selling price. He usually gets top dollar for the guns he sells. I would expect your wife's grandpa to see mid 4 figures for that gun.

Dang it, I was so startled by the gun pics I forgot to say "welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!"

·
Registered
550 Posts
Beautiful gun, and please ask Grandpa not to store it in the holster. That is the "grail" gun for a lot of collectors. I would guess a high condition piece like this would bring well above $3500.

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
Wow that is sweet! Just a heads up, don't store it in the holster. When you get a asking price please think about selling it here.

·
Super Moderator
19,442 Posts
In 4 years of serious hunting at gun shows and the local pawn shops and sporting goods stores I've only seen one. And the owner actually allowed me to handle it for a short while. I asked him his price, and his answer was NOT FOR SALE under any circumstance.
Yuor revolver is worth well more than $3000 and may bring in as much as $000 or more.
I would not sell it on consignment. There is now way I'd give up 20% on a gun sale and then have to pay the shipping and FFL transfer fees either.

go to Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com and sign up. List it for sale at auction with a $.01 starting price and no reserve.
Pay the extra $3-4 for a premium listing spot and get ready to fall over from the amount of money you get of it.
With no reserve you'll draw in quite few more bidders. If you wirte a good listing you'll certainly bring in top dollar for it.

Get it out of that holster, and wrap it in a soft chamois cloth or something that won't scratch or marr it. The holster will cause wear on the end tip of the barrel and on the cylinder sides, and that's a bad thing. You want this kept in as perfect of condition as at all possible.

Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
18,860 Posts
I agree with Gregory that putting it on gunbroker is a good option if you can take excellent pictures and write a compelling ad. It even might be worth the money to have a professional photographer take the pictures. Alternately, pore over the ads at gunbroker to see what the really good ads look like or view some of the ads in David Carroll's catalog. David's pictures are always excellent.

Your K32 shipped in 1948, so it is not model numbered. In 1957, it became the Model 16. So, your gun is a pre-Model 16, K-32 Masterpiece. Take the grips off and take a picture of the panel with the matching SN. It should be stamped on the right panel. You have the box which should have the SN written in grease pen on the bottom. Make sure you take pictures of all sides of the box for your ad because it is worth ~$150 by itself. If grandpa still has the tools (especially the screwdriver) and papers, show them, even if the bore mop has been used. For reference, here is what the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson has to say about it:

Model 16: The K-32 Masterpiece

Caliber: .32 S& W Long. Double-action revolver built on the square butt K Target frame with five screws. Previously produced as the K-32 Masterpiece. This postwar model incorporated a new hammer block and a serrated barrel rib with an adjustable micrometer click rear sight, 6-shot fluted cylinder with a nominal length of 1.56”, 6” pinned barrel with rib, checkered walnut Magna style grips with S& W medallions and diamond around the screw escutcheon. Available in blue finish only. The 4” barrel is rare and is designated as the .32 Combat Masterpiece. Non-shrouded extractor rod, 1/ 8” or 1/ 10” plain Patridge front sight. Weight the same as the K-22 and K-38 Masterpiece. This postwar model has a six-groove backstrap/ forestrap, later changed to a 10-groove serrated backstrap and forestrap. Available with a wide trigger and adjustable trigger stop. “K” serial prefix. Scarce gun with serial numbers hard to track. See listings under K-32 Hand Ejector in previous section. Also, some Model 16-2s known in serial number range K827718 - 827829 and some 16-3s known in serial number range 3K29411 - 30791. Weight 38.5 oz.; 3630 manufactured c. 1947 - 1974.

Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard (2006-12-20). Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 169). F+W Media, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow - thanks to all for taking the time to reply! I really appreciated Guy's long, informative & thoughtful response and also Gearchecker's selling advice. Will definitely tell Gramps to nix the holster. I also wrote an email to S & W about finding out the history of this particular gun. This is their response:

Dear Customer,

A signed Letter of Authenticity can be provided by our Historian, Roy Jinks, for a fee of $50. If you choose to proceed with the authentication of the firearm, you will need to complete the Firearms History request. Please be prepared to provide the serial number, model number, caliber and a physical description. Photos of the firearm are also helpful in the process.

A sample Letter of Authenticity and Firearms History Request form can be found by clicking the link below.
Firearm History Request - Smith & Wesson
(If the link is not active please copy and paste the address into your web browser.) If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.

My question for y'all: would it be financially worth it to have the official letter when selling the gun? Would he at least get his $50 back? If that's the case, I'd think it'd be a neat thing to have for the next owner - thanks again, Pete.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It always helps with the sale of a gun to be able to prove it's provenance, so a letter never hurts. As for getting his $50 back, many times over. You have probably already received several offers to buy the gun, right? As to whether to use David Carroll or another pro seller, yes you have to give them a cut, but they will most likely get you top dollar. And you don't have the hassle of dealing with a buyer, finding a dealer to ship it, pay him for the service, so six of one, half a dozen of the other. Hard8

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wonder what the OP got for his K 32. I hear they are over $10,000 these days.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
For sure $3K at a minimum.

and like said earlier keep it out of the holster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts