Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Value of 38/44 Outdoorsman 61/2" and mod 51 22 M.R.F.

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  David Lapell 
#1 ·
First of all merry Christmas to every one. I am new to this forum. I have a couple of revolvers I am trying to value for my brother in law.
The first one is a 38/44 Outdoorsman with 6 1/2" barrel. I think this may be rare. There is an "S" on the bottom followed by 1450xx.
There is M59696 under the cylinder. 696 was printed off center from the M59 and is almost touching as though it was printed later or as an afterthought.
The 5 in M59 looked like a 6 but after close inspection appears to be a 5 that is scratched or doctored. I don't think it's a Model 59.
The second is a S&W 22 M.R.F. CTG Model 51 with 22LR and 22 mag cylinders. I'd give anything to know how to change cylinders.
Ive been able to find a lot of info about these guns but narrowing down the values has been difficult. I'm hoping some of you S&W experts can be of assistance.
Merry Christmas and God bless. larry.miracle@yahoo.com
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Office equipment Revolver
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, not sure about the .22 but the front sight on the Outdoorsman appears to have been changed out. It should be like the one on mine since the time period is the same. I think the rest of it looks good, so if you can find an original style sight and if the numbers on the grips match the gun, maybe $700 or so at least, I don't have my big book with me.

Here's the front sight you should have.

Reactions: DocZeus and Shep
#4 ·
You guys have both confused me; from what I can tell from the book, the 38/44 should have Patridge sights. Lauren, your example looks to have Baughman sights and David, yours look to have the Baughman ramp, but with a 'Patridge-like' blade mounted on top, so it seems we need the experts to chime in, anyone on today that can clarify?

#5 ·
Welcome to the Forum Laren, I'm not equipped to advise on value but I do know how to change the cylinder on your M-51. The most important thing you need is a hollow ground screwdriver that fits perfectly the front side plate screw just under the front of the cylinder. All you need to do is remove the screw, open the cylinder and remove the cylinder & arm to ward the front, remove the cylinder from the arm and replace it with the different one. Reverse the procedure by reinserting the arm into the frame and replacing the screw. Close the cylinder and check to be sure it functions properly. You will have a versatile little J frame with many years of plinking enjoyment ahead! I believe the M-51 was first introduced in the early 60's and yours appears to be close to the first year introduction with the diamond center stocks and the flat latch. The Extra .22 LR Cylinders were usually fitted by the factory if sent back for the modification and I suppose a special order could have included the extra cylinder with the revolver. Enjoy your revolvers, both are very fine pieces of machinery.

#7 ·
Sorry, not equipped to take photos but may be I can explain it better. Holding the revolver in your normal grip if you are right handed look on the right side. There should be two screws visible and one under the grip panel which you will not need to locate. These screws retain the side plate to the revolver. The screw which is under the cylinder closest to the made in USA stamp on the lower frame is the one you need to remove "With The Proper Fitting Screwdriver".

#8 ·
You mentioned removing the cylinder and arm, and then removing the cylinder from the arm. Is it necessary to remove the cylinder arm from the frame to remove the cylinder from the cylinder arm?
Thank you very much for trying to help me!
Laren

#9 ·
Laren, there is a lug on the frame on the side that the cylinder opens to that is supposed to prevent the cylinder from coming off while still attached to the frame. Really sorry for not being able to convey understandable instructions!

#11 ·
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd edition, the Outdoorsman was only equipped with a patridge front sight, yours has a red ramp which was more common to the Model 27. The Outdoorsman had a 1/10 inch patridge sight until 1952 then a 1/8 inch until the end of the run in 1966. In 1957 the Outdoorsman became the Model 23. It would not be uncommon to see a Model 27 with a red ramp front sight and mistake it for an Outdoorsman. If your gun is like mine, it would be nothing to find a replacement front sight and bring it back to its original configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.