Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That much-prized red box, I mean. I previously bid on a couple on ebay, but quickly found that others coveted them a WHOLE lot more than I; one sold for over $500! So should the estimated value of the box alone simply be added to the value of the gun, or is the combined value, on average, more or less?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
It depends on how complete the package is, tools, literature, etc. Also the condition of the gun. Having the gun, box, etc. together will attract a different clientele should you decide to sell and these folks can be picky about details such as matching numbers, correct vintage tools and paperwork. It's really a Pandora's box. I've gone down that rabbit hole in the past and finally settled on buying what makes me happy and not worrying about what others like or think.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Is it the original box ? Or just one that belonged to another gun and sold without the gun. I know of someone that paid a huge amount of money just for the box just because it was the box that originally came with his gun.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to be careful there are a lot of fake boxes being sold on Ebay and Gun Broker.
I've heard of those (& all kinds of other boxes & paperwork, esp. Winchester), but it's hard to believe they could pass as genuine to anyone with an once of experience & discrimination.

·
Registered
17,326 Posts
You have to be careful there are a lot of fake boxes being sold on Ebay and Gun Broker.
Fake boxes abound for sure. My wife crabs about me keeping all my boxes (I have a room full of them) but I look at them as collectables.

If I wanted a box, I'd also want it to be complete, not tattered and in pristine condition.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
It's a "box" What about the gun?? To me it's the gun that matters. Personally boxes and "stocks don't mean much to me but that's just me. So folks like the whole package
There again I only have a few "in the box" minty LNIB guns and all that jazz.:D
People pay crazy money for cardboard and two pieces of wood and Colt Pythons (I sold one way to soon!)

"What's in the Box!!!??""

in the box.png

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
The original box, docs & tools that came w/ the gun adds around $50 or so. A box of the correct era might add some value or desirability but it's not original equipment & adds very little to a true collector. In fact it makes real collectors alarm bells go off. What else is faked?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Glad to know that--it should be easy to pick up some additional (original) red boxes, as I'll pay $100 for every one I can get.
Red Boxes with tools and paper I think add more than $50??

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts