Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary a week or so ago. We thought 20 was "pistols" so she gave me the Girsan Hi-Power I talked about earlier. I gave her, a "Valther" PPK/s in 22 LR. She's "German" on both sides of her family. Her grandparents came over on the boat back before the first big misunderstanding of the 20th century. So, I knew she'd like anything "German." Besides, it was on sale...And She quickly informed me that it's "VALTHER", not "Walther." Yes ma'am.

This is a "Fort Smith" Walther. They're actually made by Umarex, the parent company of Walther. Umarex is well known for their line of air rifles and such and use that technology to make the 22 PPK/s. The frame and slide are Zmack, an alloy of basically zinc and aluminum.

The gun is nicely made and has a good solid feel to it. It is of course, a normal DA/SA with a decocker, and a ten round magazine. It comes in a plastic box, with the one magazine, two extra front sights, an Allen wrench for the sights, and a cheap open end wrench to remove the thread protector from the threaded barrel. I'd have rather had a spare magazine, but they didn't ask me.

I think they normally sell for around $400.00. I got it for $270.00. I probably wouldn't have paid $400.00 for it.

The DA trigger at best can be called "heavy." My gauge doesn't go that high, but the factory says it's about 17 pounds. I believe them. The S/A on the other hand is about 4.5 pounds, with a clean break and a quick reset.

We've tried two types of ammo in it. Federal Bulk Pack from Wally-World. The brown box stuff I've had for years. This ammo performed well, when shooting in S/A mode. When in D/A it would malfunction and either not extract the fired cartridge properly or not feed the next one properly. Clear the jam, and go back to S/A and the rest of the mag ran fine.

With CCI stingers, it was a different gun. Pull the trigger and it went Blap, DA or SA, it didn't matter. It really likes that stuff, which didn't surprise me at all. I've never seen a gun that didn't work with CCI Min-Mags, or Stingers. Min-Mags are on deck for the next range trip.

We've got about 300 rounds through it and it is a lot of fun. We've only shot it in the 3-5-7 yard range but it seems to hit where it's pointed.

It's not a carry gun, although I wouldn't feel unarmed with it loaded with CCI Mini-Mags. It's just a fun little gun with just a bit of James Bond tossed in.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I gave that one a look, but remembered my crappy Walther P-22 and the DA trigger weight on the PPK/s and said I think not. I hope she works for you. Also, try the CCI Velocitor in that. The penetration of that round is impressive. Velocitor might be harder to find, though. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is they keep the D/A trigger so heavy to make sure the 22 rimfire, actually fires. Rather that's the case, or if it's really necessary to be THAT heavy I have no idea. I can't think of another DA/SA 22 to compare it to either. Well, the Bersa she used to have....duhhhh....It's been a long time, but I don't remember it being as heavy as the Walther.

I picked up a couple of boxes of Mini-Mags but haven't had a chance to shoot them. They were the "go to" ammo for the Bersa we used to have. I've got a couple/three boxes of Stingers left that I bought back when I was Squirrel hunting a lot. I'll have to look for some Velocitors, although I don't see them listed on the CCI website.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, they were on the CCI website. I just overlooked them somehow or other.

Went back to the range yesterday. A good cleaning, and a box of CCI Mini-Mags, and now the gun works just fine even with the Wally World Brown Box Federal bulk pack ammo. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts