Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

M&P Bodyguard | Smith & Wesson

I don't have a true pocket pistol, and would like one. While I would love a classic one in .32 acp, or even a Walther, many of the nicer ones are either hard to find ammo for or not that reliable (Walther). Also, they can be expensive.

For example, yesterday I looked at a Colt Mustang at my LGS yesterday in .380 that was $799. Apparently, that is a reasonable deal if you look at Gunbroker "buy now" prices.

Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380

At my LGS, originally I was looking at their LCP II in either .380 or .22 LR to fulfill my pocket pistol needs, at an affordable cost, but they have two S&W Bodyguards there too. Those however are about $100 more than the LCP's.

What are people's experiences with the S&W Bodyguard in .380? Also, especially helpful is if people have experience with both the LCP and Bodyguard.

I've only been able to shoot a LCP II in .22 LR.

Ruger® LCP® II Centerfire Pistol Models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For the size and weight, my LCPII is the best and most concealable pocket carry pistol I've tried. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but it has also been completely reliable since day 1 and has 3000+ rounds through it in 3 years.

<edit> Crosspost with bearcat5

Reactions: Rule3 and Madviking

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the size and weight, my LCPII is the best and most concealable pocket carry pistol I've tried. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but it has also been completely reliable since day 1 and has 3000+ rounds through it in 3 years.

<edit> Crosspost with bearcat5
Yeah, I've heard more about issues with the LCP II in .22 LR than .380. Is yours the .22 LR or .380?

On the Ruger Forum it seems every two weeks someone is posting a thread about their problematic LCP II .22 LR.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry an LCP II in .380, it's been everything I wanted in a pocket pistol.
Yeah, most of the critiques of the LCP apply to many pocket pistols of similar size. You can only get so much out of them. My primary concern therefore would be reliability, reasonable accuracy for size, etc. The recoil, low round count, difficulty in shooting well etc are part of the deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, I've heard more about issues with the LCP II in .22 LR than .380. Is yours the .22 LR or .380?

On the Ruger Forum it seems every two weeks someone is posting a thread about their problematic LCP II .22 LR.
Yeah, most of the critiques of the LCP apply to many pocket pistols of similar size. You can only get so much out of them. My primary concern therefore would be reliability, reasonable accuracy for size, etc. The recoil, low round count, difficulty in shooting well etc are part of the deal.
Mine is a .380. It is very accurate for me at 5-7 yards, OK at 10, and that's as far as I'm going to use it anyway. It's fairly snappy, yes. I don't shoot lots and lots of rounds out of it each range visit; just enough to stay practiced. I replaced the recoil springs at about 2300 rounds and keep it clean. Hope this helps w. your questions. YMMV.

Reactions: Madviking

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a .380. It is very accurate for me at 5-7 yards, OK at 10, and that's as far as I'm going to use it anyway. It's fairly snappy, yes. I don't shoot lots and lots of rounds out of it each range visit; just enough to stay practiced. I replaced the recoil springs at about 2300 rounds and keep it clean. Hope this helps w. your questions. YMMV.
Right, if I buy such a pocket pistol I'd definitely go into it tempering my expectations on any long range use. I mainly want one for my frequent hikes as the weather gets warmer and no more big jackets, maybe even shorts, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The S&W Bodyguard and original LCP have long double action-type triggers. The LCPII has a much lighter trigger -- like a SA, since it is actually about 90% cocked. I will ONLY carry it in a kydex pocket holster like a Vedder Pocket Locker or an Alabama Pocket holster. I don't use the holster that came with it. I'm ultra careful about that stuff, so it may not be a concern to you.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

Reactions: Mac23

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had a KelTec .380 for pocket carry. Was a bit snappy and I just couldn’t trust it not to malfunction. Sold it to a buddy who knew my concern and bought a Ruger XP snubbie in .38, then one in .22. Still wondering why I bought that one in .22.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

I have been carry my LCP 380 since they came out. I traded version 1 for the LP @. Fired about every kind of factory ammo you can (could) buy and lots of my reloads. Never had a issue with it. The sides pins on version one walked loose. Ruger sent me new ones.

I fired it at a private range upside down, gangster style, limp wrist-ed, held with a few fingers, weak hand. Any way I could think of to mess it up. NO FAILURES

As with any 380 folks will say how much better a 9mm or 45 is. Just ask them to hold your target at 10 feet away!:)

As with any very small gun you need to practice with it as they do jump around.

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
I have a 2nd generation LCP. I did a lot of research on small 380's before I got it. Unless they have made changes, the S&W Bodyguard seems to have more issues. The most common seems to be light strikes. I really wanted a Bodyguard, but it costs more and has more negative reviews

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
I should add that my LCP has been completely reliable. The 2nd gen LCP has bigger sights than the original and the trigger breaks a lot sooner than on gen 1. Have no experience with the LCP2

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I carry a Beretta 22A LR. Some will say I'm under guned but I always carry a extra Mag so it gives me 14 shots of 22 LR stingers. It's double action so It's always ready .
Sometimes I think I just do want a .22 pocket gun, or small caliber such as .32 acp. But, the latter is harder to find gun and ammo-wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts