Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
When you have to use those, don’t do like they do in the movies.....pick up the bad guys weapon and ammo. I suspect that type of guns/ammo may become more common than components for sale! Jus’ Say’n! memtb

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I lucked out at an auction last spring and bought over 5000 primers and some odd lots of bullets on the cheap. Most of the primers were magnum large rifle primers which are dandy for use in my large bore straight wall cases: 38-55, 45-70, 45-120 and 50-70.
They are all older lots. The newer stuff sold at gun show prices. I guess most people don't trust old primers but so far everything loaded has went bang!

John

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I am very fortunate to have at least 1000 primers in all of the versions I use except for small rifle match which I let myself get low on. Guess I will find out how much, if any, difference there is when using regular primers in my target .223's. No such thing as buying primers of any kind and powder is almost as bad. Think it may be 6 months plus before it gets better.

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
Yesterday and today, I did 400 rounds of .45acp FMJ.

Next on tap is my .38 special brass and bullets... Just checked, and there are enough small pistol primers for a party.

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
I am very fortunate to have at least 1000 primers in all of the versions I use except for small rifle match which I let myself get low on. Guess I will find out how much, if any, difference there is when using regular primers in my target .223's. No such thing as buying primers of any kind and powder is almost as bad. Think it may be 6 months plus before it gets better.
Flame pattern and intensity (duration) will be different. I'd suggest dropping a grain from your present load to compensated for it.

No shortage here and don't anticipate any either. I have numerous 1000 boxes on the shelf in the powder room.

Just received a shipment of .224 55 grain SPBT's direct from Hornady yesterday. I never have enough 223's loaded.

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
I wonder if the primers will get scarce enough to cause reloaders to start reloading primers too. I remember back when there was an acute shortage of primers that some folks were recycling primers. There are a couple boob-tube video's dedicated to 'reloading' spent primers. Not something I'd do, but it can be done.

One needs the 'pop' to make the cartridge go 'bang'....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
When my brother passed away a few years ago, I inherited his stash of reloading components which included 40,000 primers (including SPP, LPP, and SRP). I already had plenty myself so I am set for life.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
LOL....
Around these parts, components are more valuable than gold doubloons. ;) :)

A feller can find gold & silver at every turn, primers, powder and bullets are not to be had.
So true. Even sworn-off-for-life ex-reloader TTSH is taking note of the value of reloading components (especially SP primers) and will be investing in same if/when sanity ever returns to the reloading marketplace. Even for a non-reloader like me, owning reloading components represents the ultimate security against the ammunition taxers and prohibitionists. 😎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts