Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just used duckduck to search for something, & have to say I find the layout of the "search results" page rather distracting compared to Google. Maybe just because it looks "different."

·
Registered
12,964 Posts
I just used duckduck to search for something, & have to say I find the layout of the "search results" page rather distracting compared to Google. Maybe just because it looks "different."
DDG uses the 'old style' Goggle / Windows 7 layout which I prefer but the one thing I really like is the total lack of tracking and the resultant 'pop up' ads and crap I get with Goggle and their constant 'analytics'

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
you are running google now. see the padlock in the address bar? that is google secure service.
everything on the internet is controlled by google, whether you know it or not.
1st: the padlock means the website is using SSL verified by Cloudfair in this case. Secure Socket Layer was developed in the 90s by Netscape.
2nd: I never said Google doesn't touch my life. Only that I don't help them do it. That I have no Google apps functioning on my phone. Got it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not a computer geek, here is something that i found somewhere online: i did not like the politically correct pictures that came up when my google homepage displayed, and i found that down in the lower right hand corner, a little selection was always there that said "customize page" or something similar. Anyway, i clicked on it, and options suddenly appeared giving selections for screen background change. you can even download from one of your folders of pics. Now, i never see the politically correct google homepage, my background on homepage is one of my favorite pics that i can change anytime i want to. My computer runs windows 8, don't know if that matters. Maybe this will work on other folks' computers?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am not a computer geek, here is something that i found somewhere online: i did not like the politically correct pictures that came up when my google homepage displayed, and i found that down in the lower right hand corner, a little selection was always there that said "customize page" or something similar. Anyway, i clicked on it, and options suddenly appeared giving selections for screen background change. you can even download from one of your folders of pics. Now, i never see the politically correct google homepage, my background on homepage is one of my favorite pics that i can change anytime i want to. My computer runs windows 8, don't know if that matters. Maybe this will work on other folks' computers?
Well, not with Windows 7, I guess, as I don't see what you described. I'd be content with Google, except for the repeated, sickening, ass-kissing of some liberal "icon," like that POS Lewis.

·
Registered
293 Posts
1st: the padlock means the website is using SSL verified by Cloudfair in this case. Secure Socket Layer was developed in the 90s by Netscape.
2nd: I never said Google doesn't touch my life. Only that I don't help them do it. That I have no Google apps functioning on my phone. Got it?
What they said. SSL is 'secure sockets layer', which, without putting everyone to sleep, is an encrypted connection state between a host and client, designed to primarily prevent what's referred to as 'man-in-the-middle' data hacking. Has zero to do with Google.

Google (and Apple/facebook/youtube/etc) are dangerous not because they track some activity a user is engaged in, but because of their monopolies on what information YOU are allowed to see when doing a search. Their data harvesting does make them money, because they sell that data to analytics and advertising companies, but with a 93+% market share of all search platforms, they have a huge say in what you see and read, and have the ability to push their preferences to the top of any search.

For the life of me, people rage and rage about Google and censorship and yada yada yada, but almost never comment about that the fact the NSA, with their brand new, billions-of-dollars facility in the Utah desert, are plugged in to every ISP in America, and probably the rest of the world. Their ability to harvest data (and the already known-about privacy violations that have come to light) is something Google could only dream of. No one spies on you better than your government. They're probably reading this post right now, aren't ya, ya rat bastards?

·
Registered
165 Posts
if it has nothing to do with google, than why does google demand you run it or they will lock your website out of the web?
google was told to go pound salt because the web site was 8 years older than google. guess what? within a week, google locked the site up and shut it down.
google can still go pound salt, and has their hands in everything on the web.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
TJC, I wouldn't transact business with any site not using the SSL/TLS protocol. Nor should anyone. Without the encryption, your credit card info might as well be broadcast to the dark web. That omission is enough to kill any site by itself. Google will drop the URL from its search algorithm if it does not score high enough in its security evaluation. That too will kill a site since no one can search for it. The leading search engine has power because Yahoo foolishly ceeded that business long ago. And now you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
293 Posts
if it has nothing to do with google, than why does google demand you run it or they will lock your website out of the web?
google was told to go pound salt because the web site was 8 years older than google. guess what? within a week, google locked the site up and shut it down.
google can still go pound salt, and has their hands in everything on the web.
That's simply a matter of their policies. Again, SSL/TLS is not a 'Google'-created software package, but it has become the defacto standard for client/host secure communications, particularly where financial/transactional activity is concerned, and has been for quite a long time now. And, if you're hosting a web-based business on Google servers, you can rest assured they're going to make SSL/TLS security a condition of that hosting, as will most other competent internet service providers that offer B2B hosting these days. Along with protecting client information, encrypted connections make things like malware, viruses, SQL injection attacks, and so on more difficult to introduce into their systems by either a dishonest client or a man-in-the-middle attacker. And you can bet they're going to protect their systems, first and foremost.

In this case, as 1av8r stated above, Google isn't in the business of referring anyone to what they consider to be risky, unsecured sites by way of their search engine, because that feces hits THEIR shoes, reputation-wise. Also, if I'm reading this correctly, the website isn't locked out, it just isn't being listed in a search result. Anyone that had the URL bookmarked, for example, could still get to it (unless of course, it were hosted by Google themselves, THEN, they could take it down if they so desired). Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would openly question the need for transaction-level security in the 21st century, it's not as though the news isn't filled with stories about data breaches, including some very significant ones. Who runs a legitimate online business enterprise, that doesn't want their customer base to feel 100% secure in the knowledge that their personal and financial information is protected?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts