Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this interesting Target 1917 today at the show here in Town. It was one of the postwar Commercial 1917's in the 210XXX range but somebody had thier own ideas for this one.

Serial # 210223 No S in front of the Serial #. the gun has a Star on the butt with a rework date of 2/51 on the inside of the grip frame. opoefc and I believe that the rework was done by the Factory because of the Barrel Replacement with a Diamond next to the serial #.
the right side of the Barrel is stamped U.S.A.F.R and the right side of the Super Target Rib is Stamped with the Officers name and Serial # "R.C. Cairns AO 1854679"
There is a lot of research to do on this one
I think.

What about that trigger gaurd?

Dan

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
I'm the least qualified person on this forum to comment with any useful info, but I've got to say that is one of the most uniquely cool/neat/hot looking specimens of a Smith & Wesson I've ever seen. A mixture of old, but with an almost "Flash Gordon" look to it! The history alone will be a find once you settle it out, but having the hardware to boot, oh man, great stuff! klgasilBRVO

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Very neat find, Dan! Most interesting..

I hope you'll keep us posted as you do the research!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You don't see one like that every day. Nice treatment with the sights and trigger guard. An interesting find, even if a little unorthodox. Well, okay, a lot unorthodox. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I really like this one, my kind of gun. There is a retired Air Force General who sets up our gunshows. In discussions that opoefc had with him yesterday we concluded that this gun probably was owned/shot by the Father of another Retired Air Force General Mike Cairns. at least I have a little to go on.

Dan

·
Registered
239 Posts
Holy cow! No, definitely not orthodox. But neater than...well, neat stuff. I wonder how it shoots?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, what an interesting revolver!

That's a keeper fur shure . . . and gorgeous to match.

I truly hope you can track down the whole story on this unique firearm. Keep us in touch!

Tom

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've seen a number of S&W's from the 50's and 60's with similar treatments with one exception hgapngpa ...the trigger guard.

The "Fitzgerald" treatment of the trigger guard on a "Target Gun" is difinitely an anomaly.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Don't know how you do it Dan. You come up with some amazing stuff. Well done again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts