Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, Jim From south of France, I'm looking for a little more info on a nice us army model 1917 revolver. First I think the barrel has been changed because no markings, but I think the change is very old. secondly not seeing the colt marking I think it's an S&W. According to the serial number, it would be from October 1917. I bought it for $800, I hope I still got a good deal....the Holster G&K dated 1917 seems to have markings on the front ( JP.D ), maybe the soldier name ? Thank's in advance.
Wood Human leg Gun accessory Knee-high boot Fashion accessory
Gas Wood Metal Auto part Composite material
Tire Rectangle Automotive tire Tints and shades Wood
Hand Shoe Helmet Musical instrument Finger
Air gun Wood Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Revolver Wood Gun accessory Tool Gun barrel
Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Nickel Auto part
Wood Bicycle part Air gun Trigger Tints and shades
Revolver Auto part Musical instrument Metal Tool
Helmet Bumper Wood Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There is something going on with the muzzle end of the barrel. I agree, this may be a rebarrel but we will need better images to give you more information.

Also better images of the ejector lug. Where it joins the barrel looks rough.

The database I use shows a date of May 1918 for your revolver but they often shipped out of order.

Here is one of mine,

Showing the barrel stamp and smooth muzzle.

Office supplies Automotive exterior Rim Bumper Auto part

Flaming bomb acceptance stamp.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Marking on the butt strap, shipped October 1918.

Wood Audio equipment Gas Key Hdmi

Kevin

·
Premium Member
22,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Model 1917 was made in May 1918. Either your barrel was replaced or it was modified. The banded front sight is not original. What does the bore look like? From the looks of the frame, it was heavily corroded at some point in its life. Someone cleaned it up and reblued it over the pitting. Perhaps the barrel was more significantly corroded and needed additional polishing which removed the stamping. Just a few years ago that gun would have struggled to sell for $500 in the US. However, 1917s have begun to rise in value. Even the Brazilian models have reached prices unheard of just 5 years ago. But, I think $800 is a stretch for your gun in our market. I don't know the European market but,even with the restrictions Europeans live with, I have seen guns sell for prices we would kill for in the US. That being said, I don't think you significantly over-paid. Congrats!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love those old 1917s! You have one and a G&H holster! That is a fine rig you have there! 😎
Not bad for 150.00 bucks at a Georgia gun show back in 92. Kept it hidden in my academy dorm room till graduation. If the cleaning lady had found it, it would have meant being fired on the spot! It's a Brazilian contract.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Sleeve Gun barrel

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts