Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only used high velocity .22lr in all of my .22lr handguns, but there is (at the moment) a sale on Magtech 40 gr. but velocity of only 1070.

QUESTION: Has any one here used that round in their M&P .22 compact pistol? I sure don't want to buy a full case of something that won't work reliably!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why you need a revolver. It could care less about velocity.
Yeah, that would be great IF I COULD PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!! Some of us have severe arthritis problems and can't shoot revolvers, you know. Even the ultra smooth, well used and well loved revolvers I used to cherish are useless to me now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've got pretty bad arthritis, too, but I don't have any trouble shooting a revolver, single or double action.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
When in doubt , throw it out. CCI Mini-mags are my only .22 ammo.
Arthritis has crippled the trigger fingers of both my hands and I've taught myself to use my middle finger on my handguns. Adapt and Overcome.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
Not sure about the M&P 22 but have shot the CCI Standard Velocity (same 1040 fps) with no problems in the Mark IV, but mainly use them for the Long Range 22 shoots using an H&R Model 12. My Smith Semis do tend to be on the finicky side so I would probably avoid them in your case.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Buy a couple of boxes and see if they work. I wish I had done that with the Aguila 22 ammo I bought. Crappy ammo and I have 5000 rounds.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a couple of boxes and see if they work. I wish I had done that with the Aguila 22 ammo I bought. Crappy ammo and I have 5000 rounds.
Interesting. Aguila makes different "strengths" just as other brands do. I use Aguila Super Extra high velocity which is the same speed as CCI mini mags and they work really great in my Smith and my Browning. I would not try the lower speed Aguila in either of them though.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I did buy the standard velocity and I think that is the problem. They will probably shoot ok in revolvers, but my main 22 shooting is in a Ruger MK II.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did buy the standard velocity and I think that is the problem. They will probably shoot ok in revolvers, but my main 22 shooting is in a Ruger MK II.
OOPS -- I sent you a PM but you answered my question about the velocity. Sorry about that. Perhaps a rifle shooter would want to buy them from you since standard velocity seems to work in rifles (I think). Aguila is good ammunition but you have to get what works in your gun. That's why I've stuck to the 3 kinds that I do buy full cases of.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
Standard velocity works well in revolvers. Its the only thing I shoot out of my 22/32 Airweight kit gun. It was made in 1955 and has an aluminum cylinder, so no sense in punishing it with higher velocity ammo

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it looks like I'm better off not spending the money for something that is not likely to work for me. I should tell hubby that "I just saved over $300!" 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts