Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
black powder shooter 😎
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been waiting a couple weeks but it showed up today .577/450 Martini Henry

its my third Martini - this one is an orig MKII - nice condition - and not one of the IMA guns

here is the Martini feed compared to a .22 LR - blackpowder round of course..

clear markings - needs a trigger guard swivel, imposible to source as it turns out, but there are repros avail - 18 pounds the chap online said.. I dont see how it could weigh that much ?

Enfield factory stamp and in/out service - going to work the wood a bit - have some antique/musuem cleaner , use with a soft brush.. follow with some blo i think

victorian enfield inspection - once i get the wood off will have to look at the underside of the barrel - but it looks super from above.

I have no idea how to get this whole thing into a photo - but the lever opens and closes the loading block - the cocking indicator is on the side of the receiver.. And no, there isnt a safety !

the loading block - the checkered oval is for your thumb - failure to do so will give you 'martini eye'

this is the version used in the Zulu wars - for example at Rorke's Drift (1879)-- there is a Victorian Riflemans shoot late summer in Tenessee, making plans to attend and shoot the Martinis and the early Enfield bolt guns.. I think some new kit will be in order..

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
Sweet!

Reactions: blazermark

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
That's one neat piece!
Is that a plastic sabot on the cartridge- just below the bullet?

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
Beautiful! Let us know how it shoots.
Heck, I might even need to look you up so I can see it for myself.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Beautiful rifle. To get a full length photo try laying it on the floor and snap pic from above. I like single shots but have no martinis. Is that a paper patched bullet? I assume you roll your own.

John

·
Registered
black powder shooter 😎
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's one neat piece! Is that a plastic sabot on the cartridge- just below the bullet?
paper patched

That is wild!! I wouldnt think there would be any shooters left. I love the little thumb rest. You mentioned the weight .. what does it weigh?
It weighs about 9 lbs..

still quite a few around - the Nepal cache has had a huge impact on availability of these guns.. this one isnt from the cache though. But i have a MKIV (long lever) that i picked up locally that is.

The Martini-Henry Rifle and the Greatest Discovery of Antique Firearms Ever - Guns.com

@delcrossv @Boriqua

1 - 8 of 8 Posts