Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked these up with some very old ammo and frankly have never come accross anything like them before.First up is an engraved 7MM?? case.A friend tells me they were common during WW1.Guys would pass the time in the foxholes engraving cases with pocket knives etc. to relieve their anxiety.Any truth to this story? Secondly is a numbered set of S&W "K" frame grips that someone spent a great deal of time in an attempt to duplicate a set of stag grips.Let me know what you have heard or if you have seen these before.

Lou

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The case is a bit of trench art, which we commonly see today as artillery shell cases turned in to lamps and ashtrays and other brass fodder. I have an umbrella stand made of a (I think) French WW1 shell case. I've seen a few engraved cases here and there along the way.
Those grips are interesting. The carving is pretty good for imitating a stag look. Someone with a good eye and some carving skill did those, I'd say. Is the SN of WW1 or WW2 era, or in between them?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
WOW!
I'd seen examples of 'trench art' before, but that engraved cartridge and the 'jigged' grips are a first.
It's amazing what talent lies just below the surface...
Don
;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geoff40 said:
The case is a bit of trench art, which we commonly see today as artillery shell cases turned in to lamps and ashtrays and other brass fodder. I have an umbrella stand made of a (I think) French WW1 shell case. I've seen a few engraved cases here and there along the way.
Those grips are interesting. The carving is pretty good for imitating a stag look. Someone with a good eye and some carving skill did those, I'd say. Is the SN of WW1 or WW2 era, or in between them?

The ser. # is 130306. do not know what era they fall into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts