Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to go and fire my new shield today. Got to range and after 25 rounds the gun stopped working. It will not release cartridge no matter what I did. I did try to get it out but with no luck and didn't want to mess it up since it is under warranty. 20 minutes online with SW customer service and gun has been boxed and is on its way back to Massachusetts. Not very happy. The only gun and I mean the only guns I have never had a problem with is glocks! None of them have had to go back to be repaired. Sigs, Smiths and Rugers have ALL had to go back. I know most here do not like Glocks but they truly are put together better. If they made a smaller 40 cal I would have purchased one but the shield size is what I wanted so I got the shield. Hopefully they will fix it but will probably be my last Smith that I purchase. I want reliability. Rant over

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Sorry you had a problem with your new pistol. That can be very frustrating to say the least. Did it lock up with the fired case in the chamber? What ammo were you using?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is it a spent case, or a live round? I doubt it's a good idea to ship it if it's a live round.

So far my Shield 9mm has been flawless. Darn accurate, too.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It does seem like that QC has slipped or it has been forsaken; who inspects a gun anymore before it is put out the door? Anyone? There is a lot of sloppiness going on, these days.
Totally agree. Last year i bought a Remington 870 in 410 and an 11-87 in 20 ga.. The 410 was broke in the box. It wouldn't lock when you pushed the forend forward and a shell released from the mag would hang up in the trigger assembly. Sent it back. The replaced the trigger assembly, mag. tube, mag spring and guts........Now it works.

The 11-87 wouldn't cycle a full magazine with hanging up. Sent it back. They fitted a new breech bolt assembly and worked on the gas system. Now it works.

Appears there is no QC or test firing before they ship.

Bought a new Tristar(Turkey) G2 Viper in 410. When it arrived I put the barrel on it and shot skeet..........7 boxes later and it was 100% in function and reliability.

Makes ya think doesn't it?

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
If its any consolation, anything mechanical can fail and generally speaking the Shield has performed quite well. For a gun in its 8th year of production there have been few problems, even with 7-8 year old guns that have run quite a few rounds.
Chances are that it was an ammo fault of some type, maybe an out of spec case. The only failure in my 7 year old SR9c was a Tulammo brass case that wouldn't allow the gun to go into battery. Got home, measured and sure enough the case was too long

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't worry, the Shield is actually a fine pistol, it's just that crappy 40S&W round, it's always been tougher on the envelope because they put too much round in the frame intended for a proper 9mm... :eek::p:D

ETA; I'm kidding, sorta, I don't really know that much about the 40 from firsthand experience...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Could be round but glocks have no problem with same batch. Good thing round was discharged. Happens first day out its on Smith. As I get older I expect things to work. I do not think round was out of specks. Maybe the extractor crapped out

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had a 40 Shield and never had a problem with it. I would bet it's an ammo issue but I'm sure S&W will take care of it and you'll get a reliable pistol back.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
"Iffen" a live round sticks in the chamber. Remove top half and recoil spring. Slide the barrel down and out from under the extractor. Take a flat blade screwdriver and insert into the extractor groove of the cartridge above the feed ramp. Gentle prying will remove the stuck cartridge. Faster to do that than the time it took to type this.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats the problem, first it wasn't a live round and second I could not move the slide back to get to recoil spring so top half could not come off.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Could be round but glocks have no problem with same batch. Good thing round was discharged. Happens first day out its on Smith. As I get older I expect things to work. I do not think round was out of specks. Maybe the extractor crapped out
The round I had trouble with was in the last 10 round magazine I filled out of a 100 round box. I actually had one round right before that where it didn't go in battery and I hit the rear of the slide, and thought that was strange as the Ruger never had a problem before. I suspect that round was also a little long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts