Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Unknown Top Break .38 S&W

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Derick1 
#1 ·
Could anyone tell me what model this is?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows a company that will restore top breaks, Fords will not. I've heard the debate on restoration over an over and lean both ways when it comes to the type of gun, this is not an expensive gun and will be a retirement gift if refinished. Not looking for your stance on whether I should or not.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#3 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! That is a .38 Single Action, 2nd Model. AKA, "The Baby Russian." They started making this model in 1877 at SN 1 and that is an early version if the hard rubber grips are original. There is someone who refinishes these grips if you want to restore them as well. Let me know and I'll check to see if he is still in business. I don't know if Bob Cogan will want to work on it, but you can give him a call and ask Gunsmithing Excellence - Accurate Plating & Weaponry | Cogan Custom. He did a fine job rebuilding the trigger on an SAA Colt I once owned. Since that is an antique, shipping won't be an issue for you. I recommend writing down what you want done and send the list with it to be absolutely clear. For example, if you intend to truly restore it, the latch should be blued, not nickeled. And the hammer and trigger should not be blued or plated as they were case hardened. I don't think Cogan does case hardening. So, you may have to find another provider for them.

Reactions: Derick1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.