Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend offered me this revolver for sale. I cannot identify the manufacturer or the model. It has no stamp, only a 39 on the drum and handle, the barrel diameter is .423. Does anyone have any idea what that is? What can you pay for it. How old can he be?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
A Belgium or Spanish copy of the S&W #3. Probably chambered for the old S&W 44 Russian. No way to tell for certain by pictures alone. As far as price... the ones I've seen at local gun auctions were not engraved and sold for less than $150. That one is fairly nice but they don't really command a high price. I can only hazard a guess of maybe $250 - $350 to the right buyer.

John

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
As John says, it is likely a copy of the .44 Double Action, 1st Model. The cylinder shoulders indicate a .44 Russian chambering. You didn't show a serial number on the butt frame but say it is there. The number stamp on the cylinder does not look like a typical S&W stamp. The grips are not S&W. I've never seen the "turbine fan" cartouche before. It is a very nice, engraved handgun and I might differ with John on its value. I think it might sell in the $500-700 range in the US.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Agreeing with Guy. The engraving is going to bump up the price. It looks nice whatever its origin.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Like Guy says, the fan pattern in the grip cartouche is something I can‘t attribute to any known maker. But several Spanish manufacturers around Eibar, like Trocaola, Anitua, and Orbea Hermanos, made these copies of the S&W, including for foreign contracts during WW I.

I suspect any markings on the frame fell victim to the engraving.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
It appears that any identifying markings on the outside of the gun have been removed. There is likely nothing on the inside to ID it, so I would leave it alone. Some things will forever be a mystery.

Reactions: azmick
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.