Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a post war M&P .38 a few months ago. It had a shield number on the back strap. I suspected it was an NYPD gun since they did that back then and I’m retired NYPD so I grabbed it. $356 out the door. A factory letter confirmed it was an NYPD gun shipped in October 1946. I reached out to RM Vivas, who has an unbelievable database of NYPD gun history. He got back to me today. First, the gun again:

I get an email response today from Mr. Vivas. Here is his response:

"Your gun #S846515 was sold on 16OCT46 to Probationary Patrolman Daniel C. Hynes, Shield #13855.

It would appear that he got some good use from it.

Best, RM Vivas"

He also included 4 newspaper clippings on Officer Hynes. He used my gun in a shootout with 4 armed criminals and then made the paper again for disarming a kid waving a gun outside a school, a high school located in my old precinct! Hynes was awarded a medal for valor for his actions. He was a young cop and a veteran of World War II.

If you zoom in, you can read the shield number.

Such a great story. Thank you, Mr. Vivas!!!

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum and that is a great old gun but the story is really the icing. Glad you were able to get the story and pics of the Policeman.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
288 Posts
You don't get such a detailed history with an ex-police gun very often. That is very cool. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
35,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That is a nice revolver and even more interesting with the history behind it!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Hi, I'm new to the forum I had to sign up to respond to this great story. As a former LEO when we switched to 9mm I was able to buy my model 10 for $100. I have similar documentation and newspaper clips. I'm going to pass it down and keep it in the family. That gun was on my hip for many years and became a part of me, and saved my a** several times, nThere's no way I could ever let it go. CPD 1660

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Great gun history and congrats on a nice purchase. Enjoy it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts