Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired my great-grandfathers .357 from my Dad. After checking the usual area for the the model number, I discovered a series of numbers which are unlike those I’ve seen on my experience with revolvers. The numbers read “53749” with a “7” underneath it. On the bottom of the handle reads “S 138119”. It also has five screws; 1 on the trigger guard, 1 on the grip, and 3 on the frame of the pistol.

ln my search to find the model I’ve come across a few posts on here indicating that Smith started stamping their Model numbers around ‘58, and that post ‘56 they went from five screws to four. (I’m guessing they removed the one from the trigger guard.)

Took it by my local gun shops and the guys in there weren’t exactly sure, but they figured it was an old law enforcement service weapon. Any help in finding this stuff out would be incredibly helpful!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Hey J,

Welcome to S&W!

Wow! I think? That what you have there?

Is I believe a post WWII .357 Magnum. Short Action, 5 Screw...

Pre Model (27) designation.

Oh Boy....

Fill up on .38's (and .357's) and have big Fun!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
As to the screws? They did away with the one under the rear sight, first. Then in the mid 60's they did away with the screw for the cylinder bolt.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Hey J,

When you take it apart to clean it, the ejector rod is most likely a RH thread.....(some of the later 5 screws can be LH threads? )

Later, Mark

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
That is a nice and fairly valuable revolver ($1400+) . I have a Highway Patrolman S134xxx, so it was made about 4000 guns before yours. Hard to beat the craftsmanship of those old S&W revolvers. The numbers inside the crane are assembly numbers used to keep fitted parts together so after the finishing process the right parts get put into the right revolvers. They mean nothing once the gun leaves the factory. You better find better gun shop guys. S&W has been stamping those assembly numbers on revolvers forever and still use them to this day

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
A beauty of a revolver! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Jonsey, is yours actually marked Highway Patrolman? Maybe I'm missing something but if S134XXX is a Highway Patrolman how come this one 4000 guns later is not also a Highway Patrolman. I can clearly see it's not marked Highway Patrolman like my two 28-2's are. Is JC's maybe a pre 27 instead of a pre 28? The finish on his is much better than on my 28's.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Jonsey, is yours actually marked Highway Patrolman? Maybe I'm missing something but if S134XXX is a Highway Patrolman how come this one 4000 guns later is not also a Highway Patrolman. I can clearly see it's not marked Highway Patrolman like my two 28-2's are. Is JC's maybe a pre 27 instead of a pre 28? The finish on his is much better than on my 28's.
Yes, his is a pre-27. The 27 and 28 shared the same series of serial numbers, starting with an S, and I believe all N frames were included in the S series. Mine is a pre-28 Highway Patrolman and is marked so on the barrel.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thank you Jonesy. I now also notice the checkering on the top of the barrel and frame, if his gun shop guys didn't know that was a dead give away as to what he had they need some lessons on quality S&W's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts