Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Mod 10-5 today in nickel for sale for $450. Too much money for sure, even for a nice nickel Mod 10.
What was odd about it was the big fat Bull Head (horns and all :roll: ) carved ivory grips. Made wider than target stocks, and yes they are real ivory.
Just wondered if the price might be worth it if the weathered old grips could be sent off and made into something nice?

And then put on something other than a Mod 10.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Just guessing, and no photo to see, BUT...
If they're anything like the ones onenut58 pictured, they're probably worth $ 300+/- without the gun.
Remember, Grip collectors like ivory, 'Western Americana' and the like.
Like many other things, they aren'r making anymore vintage ivory.
Don
;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll go get a picture of these grips & post 'em.

Who knows - might be a find!

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I don't know if they are real ivory or not, but I do know they are real ugly! :mrgreen:

No offense.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I didn't think it was possible to make grips in ivory ugly, but someone sure managed exactly that. WOW!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It looks like a seal or walrus carved on one side, so I'll guess that it is of walrus ivory carved by an Inuit artist in Alaska many years ago. That's no steerhead, but it's interesting!

I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff and if I had some extra $$, I'd see how much cash it would take to buy.

xtm

·
Registered
656 Posts
Homemade (collectors would say crafts style) and not fitted well at all. Like the seal. Maybe walrus tusk because of the seal? Might have been made a sailor.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
GGF said:
What was odd about it was the big fat Bull Head (horns and all :roll: ) carved ivory grips.
For a minute there I thought he had saw my hand carved ivory grips... fLPIGNOk

My darling wife got me some blanks for Christmas one year, thick enough to work so...there you go, cowboy carved stock, whittled around the fire a nite that winter.

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Keith, you've got a set of beautiful well made stocks.
My buddy has set carved by a inebriated eskimo with a dull hawkbill Barlow.

I see a difference. :lol:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had to look upsidedown to see the seal that I thought was a fish. The other side looks like a Victorian dogs head. Not elephant ivory but interesting.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Jokes about the Ivory aside :roll: If the box comes with the gun it is more than likely worth it. The Ivory is in bad shape and could use about a 3 day soak in mineral oil. I suspect as noted above they are Walrus Ivory but would need to take them off and look at the back. I have seen worse, but not lately. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts