Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've watched an Israeli "turn-in" 6904 on an auction website over the last three (+) weeks, and no bids have been made. For $425 this seems a bit of a surprise.

Having prev. owned a 5906, I can't imagine any 3rd. Gen gun not being quite reliable and rugged. >> One would think that the Israelis take very good care of their handguns <<.
My only 'true' handgun self-defense class was instructed by two of them.

The 6904's price seems decent for these times with a good external condition . Most people might be looking for night sights and the 6904 might not have the best grips (?....big deal). The seller said that the DA pull is smooth but "really long". He must be mostly a striker-fired guy.....

It's easy to imagine that most people could be suspicious of some foreign LEO turn-ins, for a gun out of production for years.

·
Premium Member
13,675 Posts
I bought one of the High Power FN pistols made surplus by an Israeli military agency a few years ago. I think it was shot little and carried a lot. The importer completely parkerized it, and effectively made it a "new" gun... With a little work to smooth the trigger (they have a magazine safety, and parkerizing it made it rough) it is now a good solid pistol.

Many of the millions of new shooters are not familiar with the advantages of the heavier and bulkier all steel frame handguns of the 1980's and 1990's. They see their friend's polymer frame pistols, and that is what they end up wanting. I had placed a number of steel frame pistols and an alloy frame pistol on consignment locally, and they sat in the case while other polymer frame pistols I consigned sold almost immediately.

Here's the High Power:

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ad for the 6904 says "suitable as a range, or collector gun", or similar words.

But it seems strange, at least to me, that the words "carry gun" were Not used.:cautious: Maybe this is simply a legal precaution on their part.

NOTE: the gun's listing has been Removed.....................................................

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
That seems to be a decent price, unlike revolvers on gunbroker which are priced ...out of this world. Saw a nice but not perfect 3 inch model 65 go for over $1000 this week. No box or anything, just the gun. Saw half cases of 38 specials with bids of nearly $500 ($1 per round)

·
Premium Member
13,675 Posts
Perhaps the seller finds steel frame guns too big and heavy to carry...

But, I'd verify and ensure mechanical reliability before I'd buy it. If it's not good for carry because it's unreliable for some reason, that needs to be disclosed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The listing is back.
The idea of having a fourth carry/range 9mm handgun has some appeal, because I enjoy my four (former) LEO guns, plus the Walther P99 (Estonian, Finnish, German, "Dutch" police etc).

There is some appeal in adding a very high quality, decent-looking $470 "turn-in", but paying about $130 for the normal shipping, FFL and retail tax is a turn-off......

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
A 6904 should be an alloy framed pistol. It can be somewhat risky buying one that has been surplused out after service use. I have had the unfortunate experience in purchasing one that seen a lot of wear. They get pretty loose at the frame rails.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the many responses

19and41: I would not have expected any sort of looseness.

Maybe an example will somehow turn up in a gun shop here, although I never saw any 2nd or 3rd Gen.(nor a 1st).
Became aware of this entire S&W series of all-metal semi-autos less than two years ago.

Nice to always find the "Family Tree" colored charts via Google Images "3rd Gen charts".
It was created by Lucky Gunner.

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
To be exact, the pistol I had was a former Atlanta PD alloy framed DAO. I forget the model number. it was so loose, the slide would wobble on the frame. Heavy grease made it not so obvoius. with gun oil, you could rattle the slide. I now examine any alloy framed pistols I consider. I recommend a grease on alloy frame rails. That inhibits excess wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just 'won' a 908 in a Gunbroker auction today. Probably to be a range gun, as I already carry just one Sig P6, Walther P99 'AS' or CZ PCR.

My preference for compact, Single-stacks is stronger than for larger types. Three of my seven handguns are a pair of (somewhat similar ergos) Sig P6, plus a true 100% German P225.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts