Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My gunsmith has a blued Texas Wagon Train commerative in 44-40 WCF for $575.00

This would be my first Smith and Wesson revolver. I've been in the market for a K-22, 19, 27 and 29 for years but we've only got one gun shop with hardly any used stuff.

He said the 44-40 WCF is a really interesting and fun round and sine I plan to start reloading, that will keep costs down. He said recoil will be minimal in the n frame.

Can't make up my mind! Keep looking? This would be for in the field and range. Perhaps some hunting if the opprtunity arose.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The "Texas Wagons" in .44-40 (.44WCF) are very slow sellers.... especially if it's already been fired and doesn't have the box. I bought one at a "Bargain Price" of $100 under 'book value' many years ago. Was was complete and unfired... and played hell peddling it for as much as I had in it 10 years later.

Before you decide, check the price of a box of .44-40 ammo.... :shock:

Retail is near a buck a round... :eek:

If this is to be your first S&W revolver, I'd keep looking for that K-22, either a 17 or 18.

Good Luck.

Drew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I bought one a few years ago and love it, as who doesn't love a 5" N frame?! ;) If you reload, it doesn't cost more to reload 44-40 than 44 special. BUT, if you have to buy factory ammo, then yes, don't bother with this and buy yourself a .22LR revolver.

And $575 is a fair price if it has the box and original grips.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I agree with both posts above. I saw one unfired for $550 in the box. I thought it was a "neat" S&W but I already have several S&W's. A 5" N Frame is really cool. I have several boxes of .44-40 factory ammo and reloads my dad made many years ago. But the .44-44 cartridge is rather fickle. You have to be careful of exactly which diameter your bullets are .427 up to .430 are available (although most are also for the .44 Special). My dad found out through trial and error that .44-40 bullet widths needed to be different for Colts, S&W's, Marlins, and Winchesters to obtain optimal accuracy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sebago Son said:
The "Texas Wagons" in .44-40 (.44WCF) are very slow sellers.... especially if it's already been fired and doesn't have the box. I bought one at a "Bargain Price" of $100 under 'book value' many years ago. Was was complete and unfired... and played hell peddling it for as much as I had in it 10 years later.

Before you decide, check the price of a box of .44-40 ammo.... :shock:

Retail is near a buck a round... :eek:

If this is to be your first S&W revolver, I'd keep looking for that K-22, either a 17 or 18.

Good Luck.

Drew

+1

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought one several years ago, used with box and most of the stuff it came with. I really didn't expect too much, but since I'm a Texan I felt I needed it.

Well now. That thing is the best shooting revolver I own.

The price seems ok, I'd go for it but try to bargain of course. Not many factory 5" N frame 44-40's out there.

rayb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts