Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not just steak, but I was raised in 'pit cooking' land, where Beef heads were considered prime offerings! Anyway, just thought I'd offer these up for both learning visuals or for memory seeds that stories might blossom from! Smith & Wesson was always well represented in my early memories at these pit cooking affairs, I'm hoping I'm not alone! :D

·
Super Moderator
35,557 Posts
When I was a youngster I worked on a ranch near Dilley, Texas. They used to do the pit thing there and the head was always included.
Very used to the head involved, but that was hog head, great for mincemeat and tamale meat!

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I worked in a Beef packing house in Nebraska our employees were 98% Hispanic. I could always tell when a special event or holiday was coming because there would be a lot of employee orders for "Cabeza de Vaca". ( Cow heads)
They were wrapped and buried in a hole in the ground filled with the coals of a bonfire. Left overnight then pulled out, all the meat picked off and used for Barbacoa for the festival. One of my staff told me her Grandfather always got the cooked eyeballs. I told her I enjoyed Barbacoa, but wasn't gonna fight Granpa for the eyes.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BC2,

Loaded up last nght at McKays market meat sale. One T bone is almost more than two of us can eat now.

Pork head tamales. Cheek meat. Tongue. Good stuff. Welcome to Tex, Az, Newmexico.

Cook slow and long, those cheap cuts get it done!
Ate everything but the eyeballs, I have a thing about eyes, so eating them was out for me! :D

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Kind of partial to Elk myself, especially the backstraps.
There is an old story among elk guides, packers and such folks....

They'd be dress an elk out for the hunter and make a comment like, "Some of that sure would be good for my supper!"
And the hunter feeling all flush with success and charitable what with his new prize says, "Cut yourself off'n a piece."
The packer say, "Oh no, I'd better not....But, if you insist, I'll just cut out these *two lit'l pieces on the inside of the ribs here, if that'll be okay?"
"Sure thing, help yourself there." says the hunter.

* those cuts on the inside of the carcass are the 'filet mignon' tenderloin... ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.