·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New .327 Federal GP 100.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... odels.html

New .327 Federal Blackhawk.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... odels.html

I guess I'm not sure what niche this cartridge is supposed to fill. Apparently it rivals the .357 with less felt recoil, but does that mean all of my .357's are now obsolete? I certainly hope not. ;) I guess if one or two more rounds in a cylinder are that important, than by all means.

I do like the Blackhawk, but just don't think I want to add a whole slough of reloading components for a caliber that is essentially the same as I already have.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Ruger and Federal initially chose the wrong platform to introduce this cartridge in. My opinion is that it could be a fantastic small game cartridge and would be at home in a long barreled revolver. Ruger finally did that. This cartridge in a 6.5 inch Blackhawk would be very fun to play with. Even better would be a carbine length lever gun. Would make a nice two gun combo.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Oh, I don't think the venerable 357 mag needs to look over it's shoulder too much.

G

·
0 Posts
I've got mixed feelin's about the .327 Federal. On the one hand, it is refreshing to see companies like Federal and Ruger get together and introduce an new cartridge. Hails back to the days of Elmer Keith and S&W. It's a great tradition in our firearms history. But the new cartridge falls under another that failed. The .32 H&R Magnum. A cartridge that never lived up to it's full potential because of the guns that were chambered for it. It was never a true magnum, in the real sense. And the brass manufactured for it was inferior, until Starline started to produce their version.

The old brass, loaded hot would round out the primer pockets...rendering it useless. Now comes the fun part...

Some of us reloaders...with hints from the like's of John Taffin and others...realized this was a hot little number. And in guns like Freedom Arms, Thompson Centerfire, and Ruger...~~~ You could really hot-rod the heck out of it. To say the results were satisfying would be an understatement. ;)

So now, onto the new .327 Federal...I think everyone is finally realizing that the .32 H&R was mishandled. What we have is a tremendous opportunity to have manufacturers build guns that are safely rated to handle the CUP pressures that this round produces.

Ruger just announced the BlackHawk today. I think that is a mistake. We already have that gun in it's ballistic equivelant...the 32-20...

What they need to do is lengthen the frame on a Single Six and make that the platform of choice. A convertible 32 H&R with a second .327 cylinder would be to die for.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I agree with you, Giz, about the Single Six framed .327. That would be the cat's meow!

G

·
0 Posts
Shaun,

They don't make it...buy a Single Six Ruger in .32 H&R and I'll send you some reloads... Trust me, it'll get your attention. I'm even boostin' it again. I'm sizing some bigger .32-20's that xtimberman loaned me the moulds for. Bigger bullets than available commercially, I hard cast them, and they are set-up for copper bases....

I don't need no stinkin' .357 Magnum... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It would make for a nice little blaster, I also agree there needs to be a carbine to go along with her.

G

·
0 Posts
Agreed...

A .327 say Marlin in a levergun would have a bunch of us standin' in a long line....

giz

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Didn't Ruger already do this similar thing about 40 some years ago with the introduction of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk? I haven't compared the two, but my guess is that a .30 Carbine is close to a .327 Chevy, er I mean, .327 Federal.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
After playing with the 32 mag and sending all the stuff up north ;) I'll just stick with my 357's !!

I like the bigger framed guns. And I have 3 Marlins in 357!!!

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again, the 327 would make one heck of a Spring javelina gun

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
LeMat.......I'll be glad to take care of your .357's. I only got one, but could use a couple more. You don't need them any longer......since you're into the .327. Heh-Heh Bob

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
They don't tickle my fancy! j;zn; lkngf 2345ll

G

·
0 Posts
I might make a go for the GP 100 in .327 Federal. Like to have a 7round Double Action. Not thrilled about the barrel length, however...

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I just looked up case dimensions for .32-20 --- the diameter at the base of that case is nominally .353". Anybody know what is the nom. base diam. of the new .327 Fed case? Bowen says the .32-20 requires a 5-shot in the single six frame - so I was wondering why it can handle 6 of the .327s. Must be considerably less...

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
xtm,

I believe it is the same base diameter as the .32 H&R..... .337

Bowen may be smart. There were the 32-20 rifle loadings that were higher pressure then the handgun cartridges. My guess is he has built his cylinders against the off chance that someone gets ahold of some of that old ammunition. It is still out there at gun shows. I know...I have some.

giz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts