Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building a collection of shooter grade guns. I have no interest in pristine safe queens, I want guns I can use and enjoy more than just staring at them. Last week I sold some stuff that wasn’t being used and I put the money back into a few revolvers, 2 of which were high on my list to aquire. I got lucky as they were marked “as is” on the auctions but the descriptions indicated function and since I have pieces together a few old guns I felt confident I could get these going.

I know that the single action is a 38 single action 2nd model. I don’t yet know the year of production. Serial is in the 71k range. I got it yesterday.

The 38 Safety hammerless I have had for a while and it was one of the basketcases I put back together after a gunsmith ripped it apart to repair and then promptly died leaving the owner with literally a kids pencil box full of a gun jigsaw puzzle. It needed a bolt and I got one fitted eventually. I got it in pieces and CHEAP! I know it’s a 1898 production gun from known serial numbers.

The 32 Safety hammerless is the other one that I got yesterday. It needs some help as the sear is rounded over and slips before moving the hammer. I will have that working again quickly with a file to square it up enough to prove it out as functional and then I will find a proper replacement. I think it’s a 3rd model late production. It’s a beautiful gun and feels wonderful. Serial is 231xxx

These guns are not showroom quality, but I love them and will use them occasionally. I need to get some period correct grips for the 38 single action as it likely shipped with the plain lettering S&W atop the panels instead of the stylized logo, but for now I’m rebuilding the gun money bank account. Collectibles and “condition impaired” guns are selling for a song now, so buy shooters while they are cheap folks!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Gee. Every gun I own is a "shooter". ;)

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
27,158 Posts
All my firearms are shooter grade...some just look nicer than others. Don't own any safe queens. Here is my shooter grade 4" 28-2 HP.

Reactions: OzarkMarine
1 - 5 of 5 Posts