Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Smith & Wesson Forum Followers..... I'm glad to be here...

I have a special project I am working on and sure hope I can find some knowledge, parts, moral support, etc. here on these forums.

Here's my story...... In 1983 my family and I suffered a devastating loss in a HOUSE FIRE..... NOT FUN!!! I was 27 years old. All of my guns were damaged to some extent. Some not so bad and some just a pile of ashes. I repaired the ones I could and spread the ashes of the ones that were total losses on hallowed hunting ground. There were a few that were questionable. I stuck them in plastic bags not knowing if they were beyond repair or not. Over the years I have revived a couple of these tough cases.... One was a Remington 1100. Plenty of available parts for it..... Another was a Colt New Frontier .22 Revolver.... It is back in action and shoots as good as ever..... NOW THE REASON I AM HERE!!!!

I have pulled out my SMITH & WESSON Model 29.... 44 Magnum N Frame revolver Blue with a 6" barrel. Upon closer inspection I think it could live to breath smoke again!!!! To be sure it has a couple of issues that need to be addressed but now that I am older and wiser I do not think it is a "dead duck!" DIRTY HARRY may not want to carry it.... but I do!

Here is where I am starting with it. The pistol was not in direct flames in the fire. It was close enough to the heat to char the walnut handles but they did not burn up so I do not think it got tremendously hot. ANd ultimately it was covered up by sand from the plaster walls collapsing which protected it somewhat. It did however get hot enough for one of the cartridges in the cylinder on the right side to explode. (Obviously it was loaded at the time! It had 5 cartridges in it as I always kept the cylinder under the hammer empty.) Looking at the pistol from the rear the cartridge that exploded was the second position clockwise from the cylinder under the hammer. When it exploded the brass exerted enough backwards pressure to deform the side curtain of the frame that sits behind the cylinder on the right side and it also deformed that edge of the sideplate. So my challenge is to find a new N-FRAME SIDE PLATE and repair or replace the ENTIRE FRAME of the gun. All the internal parts, hammer, trigger, cylinder stop, cylinder, etc seem to be okay.

So if any of you are still reading at this point...... I am going to explore the possibility of bending the side curtain on the frame back into position and putting a spot of weld on it where it has a small crack. The crack is not in a place where it should cause weakness to the frame. I will try to post some pictures eventually. Of course I am taking this on with a SAFETY FIRST ATTITUDE!!!!! If there is any concern about whether this will end up being a safe weapon to fire.... Well, it will just be a nice "WALLHANGER!"

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Very sorry to read of the loss of your home to fire. With extreme respect, given that the heat was sufficient high enough to cook off a loaded round and given that the recoil shield was distorted by the round firing, It would be most unwise to attempt to return the 29 to service.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
As a retired gunsmith & metal worker I'd advise you to follow Bruce's advice. W/ that much heat the metallurgy has definitely been affected. A .22 is pretty low pressure & could likely be made to work but a .44 mag. is a whole new ballgame. Side plates are fitted parts & not interchangeable, welding cracked frames is a ticklish thing, & a distorted recoil shield is a warning.... Make it a wall hanger.

Reactions: Grange29

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Hi Grange29,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. welcome01

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I agree that you shouldn't try to resurrect the model 29. You could probably sell parts such as the hammer and trigger, the front sight blade if its pinned, the rear sight, and maybe some parts from the action. You could use the money toward getting another gun.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Welcome and listen to Injunbro. Give it a place of honor on the wall and buy yourself another 29.

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Welcome mate

Thewelshm

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.weiweinp

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Welcome from Gettysburg and put that model 29 to rest for good. Bury it in the happy hunting grounds.:37-36ls: Or give S&W a call and tell them what happen and see if they will test it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for the warm welcomes to the forums here and thanks to all of you that took the time to read my post. . It seems the vote is unanymous that my plan is a "BAD IDEA!" The small voice in the back of my head has been telling me the same thing all along so a WALL HANGER IT IS! (Unless I get the inclination to sell off the parts!) I would certainly like to own a Model 29 again for sentimental reasons.... I guess I'll start searching for an affordable deal!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck in your search, and Welcome to :wlogo: forums! -Mike

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with finding a new Model 29. Also glad the old one will a a revered place for memories.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts