Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He’s one of my son’s best friends and he called me yesterday about a 9mm Taurus he bought about a month ago and only yesterday tried to load some ammo into it and it wouldn’t chamber a round, i.e. the slide wouldn’t fully seat. After a lot of questions, I told him to just drive over and show it to me in person. He showed up and after making sure he had the right caliber ‘gun to ammo’ match I tried it and sure enough, it simply wouldn’t seat a round. He had a box of jacketed hollow points, so I tried some of my JHP’s (police ammo from my son) and it also would not chamber. My first thought was that the barrel hadn’t been milled deep enough to accommodate cartridges properly, but I wasn’t wanting to hang my hat on it. He bought it at a Pawn Shop and my advice was to go back ASAP and see what they’d do for him, something was clearly not right. He did and he called me earlier for another visit, here’s what we determined!

The gun will chamber and fully seat with FMJ rounds, but not JHP rounds! I aggressively worked a wire brush through the breech end of the barrel, no change. To their credit, the Pawn Shop owners tried it themselves and could see the issue and offered to give him back his money toward a different purchase, which I strongly recommended, but he wants to completely clean the gun, something I suggested and then fire some rounds at the range first, more out of curiosity than anything else and to be honest, I’m curious now too. If he does nothing, I gave him a box of a hundred FMJ rounds that at least load (not sure if they fire), this is a ‘bad guys are in my house and the Po Po are too far away’ sort of gun, which I strongly told him was a bad strategy, bad gun, bad everything, but I’m not his father. I’ve got to believe this is nothing more than poor quality product, but I’m wondering if there might be a more simple answer. I’ve never owned a Taurus, just did some minor work on a former brother-in-law’s revolver, otherwise my experience with them is to simply not buy them. Any ideas? Here’s pictures of the brand, model and breech.

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
That model actually has a decent reputation. For most the biggest complaint is the funky feeling trigger pull and the bluing doesnt wear real well. My nephew had very little money but needed a gun. After doing some research I said they looked ok. I had watched multiple video reviews on the gun including a bunch that were a report after owning one for 6 months. A couple had problems feeding steel cased ammo, but everything else ran fine they said. I believe my nephew got his on sale for $219.95, with the stainless slide a couple years ago

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Its a Taurus send it back to the mothership, they have a lifetime warranty.. With that said he would be further ahead with a better brand, they are generally garbage mate..

thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
I work in a gun store, and I'm still fully under impressed with the guns Taurus has to offer. We get constant complaints by our customers that the Taurus they bought doesn't work right. They jam regularly, and mis-feed and stovepipe regularly. I try not to show them at all, but if that's what the customers want to buy, I'm not going to stop them. Buying a SCCY pistol is a much better waste of money.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I work in a gun store, and I'm still fully under impressed with the guns Taurus has to offer. We get constant complaints by our customers that the Taurus they bought doesn't work right. They jam regularly, and mis-feed and stovepipe regularly. I try not to show them at all, but if that's what the customers want to buy, I'm not going to stop them. Buying a SCCY pistol is a much better waste of money.
and SCCY Sucks well at least their CPX-1 did, I saw a video with Hickok on the SCCY CPX-2 looks like a better option?

thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
Its a Taurus send it back to the mothership, they have a lifetime warranty..
Taurus has discontinued the lifetime warranty. They only cover their guns for 1 year now.

·
Banned
5,031 Posts
Taurus revolvers are ok if you don't have a lot of cash or don't want to spend it. Taurus semi's have never interested me. Because of the area here when I worked at the LGS we sold a great many Taurus firearms, we also sent a lot of firearms to Taurus for repairs! Hopefully he can figure it out or return it for something more reliable. That is really a weird problem with that one! I tend to stick to Glocks, S&W, or Ruger!

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Taurus has discontinued the lifetime warranty. They only cover their guns for 1 year now.
so I guess that's why the original posters gun was in a pawn shop. As Erv would say "Paper weight"

thewelshm

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There's a lot of black crud in the grooves inside that barrel also. I do know that most people who take guns for trade or pawn don't clean them first - if they ever did at all.

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Honestly, if you really want to help him, tell him to return it now... Pick up the phone and call him.

Tell him to stay away from the cost reduced versions of better brand guns as well. A used M&P 9 or 9C would be a better choice.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Now covered by a limited lifetime warranty. I really don't understand the brand bashing that goes on. I've owned taurus and sccy pistols and never had a problem. The only gun I've ever had to send back was a Ruger that I bought brand new that would never fire more than one round. Taurus and Sccy may not be as refined or smooth but mine go bang every time and hit the target. Not everyone can afford a 9c for $500 used or a 43x used for $500, but a G2c new for under $250 gives them something to protect their family or get started in the shooting sport.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
A semi auto being picky about ammo is nothing new but you would expect a gun meant for up close and personal work to be JHP friendly. I'll bet the barrel throat is just too tight for the shall we say "full figured" ogive of the JHP round. Full jacketed projectiles are a bit sleeker as they don't have to make up for the area of the hollow cavity that makes a JHP bullet.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
View attachment 490719
Now covered by a limited lifetime warranty. I really don't understand the brand bashing that goes on. I've owned taurus and sccy pistols and never had a problem. The only gun I've ever had to send back was a Ruger that I bought brand new that would never fire more than one round. Taurus and Sccy may not be as refined or smooth but mine go bang every time and hit the target. Not everyone can afford a 9c for $500 used or a 43x used for $500, but a G2c new for under $250 gives them something to protect their family or get started in the shooting sport.
I'm sorry to be brand bashing, but Taurus is garbage mate, If in your opinion they protect your family "ce la vie" Name one American force that utilizes Taurus.?...None..

thewelshm

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm sorry to be brand bashing, but Taurus is garbage mate, If in your opinion they protect your family "ce la vie" Name one American force that utilizes Taurus.?...None..

thewelshm
So name one force that uses Kimber or Dan Wesson. Does that make them junk? I get that you don't like Taurus, that doesn't make there firearms junk. I don't like foreign cars but that didn't make them junk.

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
Read carefully what is being told here, Taurus guns are unreliable, and should never be trusted to save a life. When things go bad, they go really bad, very quickly. Trying to shoot a malfunctioning gun in an emergency is not a good way to go.
Think about this...Why would Taurus reverse their warranty policy?
The reason is that Taurus is getting way too many complaints that their 1 year warranty is inadequate, and their guns are still defective and continue to malfunction long after the warranty expires. Their customers demand that Taurus repairs their defective guns, no matter what.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
Read carefully what is being told here, Taurus guns are unreliable, and should never be trusted to save a life. When things go bad, they go really bad, very quickly. Trying to shoot a malfunctioning gun in an emergency is not a good way to go.
Think about this...Why would Taurus reverse their warranty policy?
The reason is that Taurus is getting way too many complaints that their 1 year warranty is inadequate, and their guns are still defective and continue to malfunction long after the warranty expires. Their customers demand that Taurus repairs their defective guns, no matter what.
What taurus have you owned that was defective?

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
What taurus have you owned that was defective?
Here we go, I have a feeling a retired gunsmith will jump in shortly,, Will you take his word for it mate? by the way this is the USA, you can buy what you want! I can drive from Tampa to Orlando in a model T Ford, but Id rather go in a 2020 ride

thewelshm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts