Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The engraving threw me off a bit. It appears to be a .32 Double Action, 2nd Model from 1882. I believe the engraving and plating were done outside the factory. These guns are not very valuable even in great condition...usually $200 or less. Unless the engraving was done by or for someone important, I'd say less than $100.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
It's a .32 Double action 2nd model 1880-1882. Not sure if the engraving and replate would add or subtract value.

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
I overlooked the pearl grips. They seem to be in pretty fair shape. IMO, they are worth more than the gun. I'm no expert on engraving but there are some folks over at the Blue Forum who are. Fran ^(delcrossv) hasn't commented and likely knows more about this style of engraving than me. What do you think, Fran?

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Looks period, are there any marks on the grip frame? Engravers sometimes signed their work. If it were factory, the trigger guard wouldn't be plated. So I'm thinking replate,
The plain sideplate is odd for Class A ( full coverage) engraving. Maybe a replacement?

It's for sure a 2nd model .32 DA, For the engraving, Gary (glowe) on the Blue forum is more of an expert on these. Post it in the Antiques forum there.

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
IIRC, most of the guns in that era were engraved and plated by the distributors. Also, they put on the pearl and ivory grips. I agree that Gary is an expert on these guns, but probably not an engraving expert. But, there are others over there that are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts