Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20160118_214504.jpg 20160118_214547.jpg 20160118_214623.jpg Parade picture.jpg
Hello, newbie to the forum here. My mother gave me this .44 Mag the other day. Trying to find out what model and year it is. I can't seem to find anything that matches up with that serial, AZL1331. There is another number, 15343 stamped next to it. I'm thinking it is a .44 MAG CLASSIC HUNTER. It's a 629-1, 6" full-lug barrel, unfluted cylinder. The hammer seems to be wider than normal .5 in.. It came with the Hogue grip and that B-square rail installed. There is no rear sight. My stepfather bought it sometime in the '80s. It's a beautiful revolver to add to my collection. Feels very balanced when you hold it! Any info someone could add to this is appreciated! Thanks, Svend

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
First of all welcome01 to the Forum. Second, what you have is a Model 629-1 .44 Magnum revolver in Stainless Steel.
The only sure way to find the serial number is to remove the grips and you will find it stamped on the bottom of the grip frame.
The 629-1 44 magnum Classic Hunter was manufactured in the mid 80's. The B-Square Rail was added, it originally came with a White Outlined blade sight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick update. I was 98% sure it was a Magnum Classic Hunter. Now I know. I've looked for a rear sight online, so far everyone seems to be out-of-stock. Ebay seems to be the only place you can get a used one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Thank you for the quick update. I was 98% sure it was a Magnum Classic Hunter. Now I know. I've looked for a rear sight online, so far everyone seems to be out-of-stock. Ebay seems to be the only place you can get a used one. Any suggestions?
The older S&W Rear sights (w/squared off front end) are like finding Hens teeth anymore. Either E-Bay or if you have some gun shops in your area they might have or know where to obtain one. Be fore warned since they are so rare they can and do fetch a premium price.

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

welcome01

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I would look for a used Leupold M8 2X scope on eBay. The hard part is already done. With a nice optic you can really enjoy the accuracy that Smith and Wesson built into your gun. These "newer" guns had improved tolerances for the cylinder throats and are excellent shooters. That's a really fine .44.

·
Premium Member
18,757 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun likely shipped in early 1988. S&W serial numbers jumped from prefix AYM to BBF from January to July 1988. I did a search on eBay a day or so ago and there were several N frame rear sights in the $70 range. YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the information! I saw some of the same sights on Ebay. I have done some research and some of the rear sights for the 629-1 supposedly have a round versus square elevation adjustment screw. I want to make sure that I buy the right one. My gun looks like this with the B-square rail removed. 20160120_195227.jpg Or would any N frame rear sight work? I see the numbers .146 and .160 in relation to this sight a lot. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance for your help?

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Thank you for the information! I saw some of the same sights on Ebay. I have done some research and some of the rear sights for the 629-1 supposedly have a round versus square elevation adjustment screw. I want to make sure that I buy the right one. My gun looks like this with the B-square rail removed. View attachment 53556 Or would any N frame rear sight work? I see the numbers .146 and .160 in relation to this sight a lot. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance for your help?
I am only sharing this link to show the style rear sight that fits your N-Frame M629-1
Smith Wesson s w Revolver Rear Sight K L N Frame w O Blade 0 146" C2C 1 840" | eBay
.146 is the correct blade height for your 6" barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts