Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I inherited this revolver from my grandfather, he worked in the state prison system as a guard and this was his issued firearm. I'm trying to date it but there's something going on with the serial. I have one that begins with 'K', however the era he worked at the prison (The 50's and 60's) apparently the models created then were marked 'J'. I tried to do a serial number lookup on Smith and Wesson's website but they couldn't provide any information with that serial.

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
K would be appropriate for some models of revolver of that period. The J was used in J frame serial numbers. J frame is a small 5 shot revolver and I doubt that a prison would issue them to guards. That leaves the K on your gun which as
I said, would be correct for certain models.
A picture and the serial number would help us identify and date the gun

·
Registered
863 Posts
When most people post the serial number they XX the last two numbers. And a picture is worth a thousand words. And it seems new posts of firearm pics are getting more and more scarce so I would really like to see yours. And thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Hard to help without a photo and partial s/n.

answer some of the question in the above link will help a great deal.

Reactions: azmick

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Well, if it is marked .38 S&W Special CTG and the serial starts with a K, then it pretty much has to be either a 6" Model 14 Masterpiece or, more likely, a 4" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece...or the pre-model versions. S&W started stamping MOD numbers inside the yoke cut in 1958. So, open the cylinder and look inside the yoke cut for a MOD 14 or MOD 15. If not there, the revolver was made in or before 1958.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts