Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my July issue of American Rifleman, and saw the article about S&Ws new "tactical" revolver. Looks interesting!! Has anyone had any hands on with this revolver yet? I'm intrigued, an 8 shot .357 revolver, with upper and lower rails! What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
668 Posts
A range buddy got one about 6 months ago. I shot it at some speed steel targets. I liked it a lot. Not the same kind of smooth low recoil that the 627 V8 has, due to mass. Still, I'm looking myself for a deal on one.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Well Borderdawg, gotta hang my head in shame on this one. Yup, invested in one and then proceded to attach all the whistles and bells. Went to an indoor range to set the laser and the shootin I did left me a mite uninspired - Had to be a bad gun right? Then my best buddy picks it up and shoots clover leafs and tells me how much he likes it. . .So it is back to my mountain redoubt, and unlimbering my K-22 and
learning to shoot all over again. They say confession is good for the soul, hope, with practice, it improves my aim too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 3 PC 8 shot 357s, a 627, a 27 and a TRR8. Of the 3 I would rather shoot the TRR8. The weight and overall feel fits me, I don't have the rails on it.
Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
The barrel looks like it was designed by someone from Webley & Scott.... ;)

Chuck

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Indulge me m657, I'm a sucker for gadgets, and the jury isn't in on this one yet. I am also hooked on the classic S&W's of the 20th Century, as this posting hopefully points out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
"An abomination."

+1 I agree. Regards 18DAI

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Some of the comments kinda remind me of my reaction to the first time I saw a Colt AR-15. I looked at it and said "It must be a Mattell, it's swell." Certainly didn't match my expectations of a battle rifle; now I have one. . .The same thing about a Glock, the looks certainly didn't inspire me to reach for my wallet. I think the Glock now has about 65% of the law enforcement market. A LE firearms instructor friend, let me shoot his after giving me an impressive demo - Yup, now have a Glock.

Regarding the revolver in question - My friend (we have shot together for over 50 years) did some impressive shooting with it; I didn't. But BORDERDAWG asked and so I responded with what little information I had. I do agree about not putting it in a gun safe, a night stand beside the bed is a much handier place for it. . .Happy shootin, amigos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just want to add something to think about. S&W also offers the M&PR8 which is exactly the same gun except the ejector rod shroud is not drilled out and the front accessory rail is milled into the barrel (not removable). This is the version I have and love it. Hit 2" spinner targets at 50yrds. no problem. The best part, however, is the reaction at the range. Not too many people around my neck of the woods had ever heard of a 8 shot 357, much less seen one, and lets be honest it's always a little fun to watch other guys drool over your toys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't remember which gun rag said it, but it was something to the effect of "The Performance Center is rewriting the book on barrel contours."
Some range from mildly inoffensive to just plain funky looking.
But I bought one of those Thunder Ranch Defensive revolvers, and at one point had a Webley mkIV, so I probably can't say too much. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts