Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Guy Looking for information My Grandson recently bought a New S&W40VE Beautiful Handgun, He cleaned an Lubed everything the owners book
listed for basic first time break in everything looks ok an nice an tight in my opinion, loaded the mags up when to chamber first round didnt chamber the flat nose ammo acts it gets caught on feed ramp on barrel . or something else.
after getting the ammo to feed fired 2 rounds then another failed to feed, we even looked an cleaned the mags
i am a old school S&W Fan i never had this issue with model 39 an model 59 9mm I use too have, wish i still had them
i sold them when my girls were growing up to make through hard times enough of that Now Im Retired, getting back into
Shooting Sports With My Grandsons an Son inlaws. I have thought about changing recoil springs i was surprised to
find guide rods were plastic in the SD40VE i have other 9mm handgun not S&W (hanging my head in shame)
so i looking to change the plastic giude rods in my guns my thought plastic an metal springs dont work together
very look long if you shoot alot is that been a issue with problems in the past with S&W SD40VE? plastic guide rods?
Thank you Wally Gilonske email [email protected]

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
A lot of 40 SW ammo is flat nose.
A lot of guns have "plastic" polymer guide rods.

Don't load the mag to full capacity, Try that.
Leave the gun empty with the slide locked back for a few days
Hand rack the empty gun 50 times

Then load and try it.

Try a different brand of ammo. If no go, call SW and return the gun.
No reason you should have to replace parts with it.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It seems the VE guns need more break-in time than most. You might try a small supply of snap caps to run through it several times before your next range session.

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
One of the first things to address is to ensure that you're using the proper grip and providing adequate recoil support so that the firearm has something reasonably solid for the action to recoil and operate against. If the operator's grip is loose, or stance isn't right you can experience cycling problems.

The Sigma series firearms from S&W are cost reduced designs, and I've often found that there are issues with them. If problems continue, don't hesitate to contact S&W customer service and ask them to make things right under the warranty. Quite often though, they'll take these back, test them and find nothing wrong... I particularly don't like the feel of the series triggers.

Years ago, I had a 4566 that had a polymer guide rod in it, and it was causing binding - replacing it resolved the problem. It had come from a police surplus source, and may have had the rod as an armorer's replacement from some early program in which they were testing this technology. I found it unsatisfactory.

Most standard FMJ ammunition for .40 caliber has a truncated cone (flat). The pistol should be designed to handle that bullet shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts