Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Milsurp, black powder, bullet casting, all things accurate and fun.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I lucked into a decent 6 inch Canadian marked pre-victory model in .38-200 which functioned perfectly. I then found a Canadian marked pre-victory with a 5 inch barrel to add to my collection. The 5 inch since I got it has had trouble consistently working in DA, it seems that the trigger sometimes snaps past the sear which allows the hand to rotate the cylinder but the hammer does not cock. Being not unfamiliar with revolvers, I thought I might see what's wrong. Comparing the internals, there doesn't seem to be anything missing or damaged. The sear sits at relatively the same angle on the hammer of both, rests on the same spot of the trigger and the sear springs are the same length and tension.

Since doing that test, and reassembling both revolvers I now find that the 6 inch now is suddenly suffering the exact same problem. I'm guessing that I buggered up reassembly in some way. Comparing it to diagrams doesn't present an obvious error. Someone else must have made the same mistake on the 5 inch... If anyone can steer me right I'd greatly appreciate it! Here are some pictures taken while both are having issues:

5 inch

6 inch

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nothing appears out of place to me, but I could be wrong. I would try a drop of oil on the sears on both guns, and make sure they were moving freely. Don't overdo it, but you can put a drop of oil on the hammer and trigger pins, the rebound slide and the cylinder stop. A drop of oil on the hammer block in the side plate is a good idea too. If you get too much oil in there, it will grab and hold all kinds of shooting gunk. Give that a try. I find that 99% of my revolver problems are because of dirt, or lack of lubrication. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Did you try working the action with the side plate off? Lighten up the mainspring and use your thumb to help with the hammer but just run it through the action and see what’s working and what’s not. Hard to tell without being there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nothing appears out of place to me, but I could be wrong. I would try a drop of oil on the sears on both guns, and make sure they were moving freely. Don't overdo it, but you can put a drop of oil on the hammer and trigger pins, the rebound slide and the cylinder stop. A drop of oil on the hammer block in the side plate is a good idea too. If you get too much oil in there, it will grab and hold all kinds of shooting gunk. Give that a try. I find that 99% of my revolver problems are because of dirt, or lack of lubrication. Good luck!
It's not a dirt or oil issue, I had the 5 inch completely apart and scrubbed out with brushes and a sonic cleaner. Reassembled with light oiling. The 6 inch as you can see is a bit dry, oiling the pins didn't make a difference.

Did you try working the action with the side plate off? Lighten up the mainspring and use your thumb to help with the hammer but just run it through the action and see what’s working and what’s not. Hard to tell without being there.
Yes, adjusting mainspring tension and thumbing it didn't help. It's an intermittent issue, not every trigger pull fails DA but some do.

Here's what I'm talking about:

·
Premium Member
22,359 Posts
Did you remove the double action sear? It looks like it's not returning. There's a small spring inside that pushes it back forward. Either the spring may be missing or it may be gummed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I solved it. The double action sear was returning but not far enough forward to be picked up the extension of the trigger. To alter the position of the sear's nose, I lightly stoned the yellow line surface pictured. This allowed the red surface (sear nose) to move further forward on the trigger extension. I still do not know how this suddenly occurred on the 6 inch after being taken apart now both of them are running perfectly again I'm happy and not questioning it.

·
Premium Member
22,359 Posts
Maybe you swapped the sears when you disassembled and cleaned them. That should not have been necessary since these guns were hand fitted and operated as military weapons for many decades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe you swapped the sears when you disassembled and cleaned them. That should not have been necessary since these guns were hand fitted and operated as military weapons for many decades.
That would have been too simple for me unfortunately. I maintained two well separated parts trays for them and actually tried interchanging the sears to see if one was no good. It turns out they are absolutely hand fitted and the hammer, trigger and sear will not interchange between either of them. You can't even cock the hammer with any swapped parts installed.

·
Premium Member
22,359 Posts
Well, I can't explain it. I've taken many of these guns apart and swapped components and never ran into this issue. Glad you got them going.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Happy to hear they're working again. I took the side plate off of my 5" M&P Target and compared it to your guns. It looks the same as your 5" gun, but your 6" gun's sear looks fatter than the sear in my gun and flat on the end. Here's a pic of mine to compare. I suppose all's well that ends well. Happy shooting!
Wood Bicycle part Air gun Trigger Gun accessory

1 - 12 of 12 Posts