Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to shoot muzzle loaders. My first and still have it is a TC Renegade in 54cal. Always enjoyed shooting black powder but just hated the clean up. A friend of mine...seems his first love is black powder...has been on to me to get out the Renegade and get back into it. And I do think the muzzle loading fever is starting to hit me again, thanks to him. Got my rifle out of the safe after several years, checked it over.....still in great shape.
I used Triple 7 in a Black Diamond I used to have. How would Triple 7 Powder perform in a 54cal Renegade over Black Powder?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I’m sure it would work just fine. But, before you walk away from real black powder. Read about the corrosive properties of Pyrodex. Seems it is more corrosive than BP even after the proper cleaning methods are used. I have an old TC .50 cal Hawken replica with a severely pitted combustion chamber because of the stuff. I’ve never had a corrosion issue with real BP.

If I was shooting a lot at a range, I would lightly soak my patches in Hoppe’s black powder solvent. That way when I would seat the next round ball I would effectively swab the residue in the barrel. I learned that trick from an old BP target shooter. Then when I got home a simple hot soapy water cleaning would take care of the remainder.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The best way to find out is to try it.
Flintlock or percussion? Some of the substitute BPs are harder to ignite and can have more misfires with a flintlock.
Personally, I'm with Ratzo. BP isn't really that hard to clean up. With muzzle loaders, using any type of powder should be followed up with a good cleaning and drying. I use warm water with a little dish soap in it. The TC hooked breach system makes cleaning easier too. Pop the wedge out and stand the breach end of the barrel in a bucket of warm soapy water and start running patches through. The water ill siphon up and out the muzzle. When the barrel is clean and dry I run a patch impregnated with Bore butter through the barrel to "season" and protect it.

John

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best way to find out is to try it.
Flintlock or percussion? Some of the substitute BPs are harder to ignite and can have more misfires with a flintlock.
Personally, I'm with Ratzo. BP isn't really that hard to clean up. With muzzle loaders, using any type of powder should be followed up with a good cleaning and drying. I use warm water with a little dish soap in it. The TC hooked breach system makes cleaning easier too. Pop the wedge out and stand the breach end of the barrel in a bucket of warm soapy water and start running patches through. The water ill siphon up and out the muzzle. When the barrel is clean and dry I run a patch impregnated with Bore butter through the barrel to "season" and protect it.

John
Percussion..
Probably start out with Black Powder..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Triple 7 should work fine but cut your powder charge down by 10 to 20 % (by volume). Triple 7 is a lot more energetic than BP. I don't think it fouls as much but it is a little bit more difficult to clean than BP. Not bad though. Just takes a little more scrubbing. Also it is NOT Pyrodex and I don't think it's as corrosive.

One more tip: Be sure to fire a fouling shot before you load up for some serious shooting.

Hector

1 - 5 of 5 Posts