Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I took the .44 Special Triple Lock out this afternoon for a tryout. I was worried since the gun is so old (I had also noticed a slight spot of flame cutting that's not too deep). I loaded up some Lyman 250 grain #429421 bullets with 6.0 grains of Unique. As you can see from the target, which was set at 20 yards, the old hogleg isn't too bad. I could barely see the front sight down the end of the barrel. The chronograph was giving me around 685-700 fps for the load, and I have no interest in pushing it any farther. No too bad for a gun made before Panch Villa became famous.

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
David,
The second question is how many guys at the range took notice.
I'll bet you got some real compliments and atta boys for that shooting.
And some real nice comments about the wheelgun too.
Nice groupings, I didn't do that well with my .357
Good Job, nice pics.

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
David, I don't mean to steal your thread but it seems a good place to get a question answered.

I'm still new to handguns and especially the older historic models.
A real simple question for those that have them and are in the know.

What exactly makes a Triple Lock, a Triple Lock? I've never been able to get it explained so that I understand wht I'm looking at.
A little education for the 1st grader please.

Your knowledge will be very much appreciated

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
gearchecker,
A good and legitimate question.
Here's a photo.
You'll see the small pin extended in the front of the frame , protruding from the underside of the ejector-rod housing...
It fits into the receptacle in the forward portion of the yoke.
Lock at rear, lock at ejector-rod, lock at yoke.
Don
;)

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
Got it!
It took some careful looking at it to figure out how it all ends up working as a unit bit it works. Seems like overkill for locking down the cylinder, but if that's what it takes to do the job. We'll just call it a triple lock. work for me.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don,
Thanks for posting that picture of your Triple Lock. For a long time I've had the same question as "gearchecker" but have never actually seen a triple lock nor a picture of where the extra lock was located. Now, thanks to your picture I finally see where that 3rd lock is and what it looks like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.