Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and was wondering if you all could help with some info. I recently acquired a S&W “triple lock” hand ejector 1st Model new century. It has a 6 1/2” barrel and is nickel plated. Is has some wear showing in places with the nickel plating flaking off, but overall is a very tight and beautiful piece of history. It appears whoever owned this gun before fired a cartridge through it that was not 44 s&w special and left a bulge in the barrel. Is it possible to find these barrel in this day and time? I would love to fix this gun and bring it back to life. I appreciate any advice given.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Hmm. Tragic. Unfortunately, Triplelock barrels are model specific so you'd have to find a parts gun. You can check with Numrich, Jack First etc but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm afraid you're in for a long search.
They do show up very occasionally. You may want to check on the blue forum. I recall someone there is thinking of parting one out,

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Looks like someone fired again after a squib. 😕

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Tragic. Unfortunately, Triplelock barrels are model specific so you'd have to find a parts gun. You can check with Numrich, Jack First etc but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm afraid you're in for a long search.
They do show up very occasionally. You may want to check on the blue forum. I recall someone there is thinking of parting one out,
Thanks for the info. I figured it would be a hard piece to find. Darn shame.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Alternatively, you could consider parting yours out. TL parts are hen's teeth.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You might find that the gun is still a good shooter w/a barrel bulge although that one looks pretty severe. I bought a Triple Lock barrel a few years back on ebay crazy cheap. Not sure why but it sat in my desk for a couple of years and then I happened upon a Triple Lock with a cut barrel so it all worked out. A wanted to buy add on both forums would be a good start and then like delcrossv mention start checking the parts suppliers. I would never part it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Put a want ad here and on the blue forum.

Or have the barrel cut back to make a snub nosed triple lock. It may suffice until a replacement barrel comes along.

John

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a want ad here and on the blue forum.

Or have the barrel cut back to make a snub nosed triple lock. It may suffice until a replacement barrel comes along.

John
I never thought about cutting the barrel back. That sounds like a good option until a barrel falls in my lap. Thank you all for the advice!

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I wouldn't cut that barrel. It should still shoot fine with decent accuracy. If it was a blued gun, maybe. But, you will make a mess with nickel. The front sight has to be removed, made taller and soldered or welded back on. It will be ugh-ly! unless you have it renickeled. Also, it is worth more with the original, uncut barrel even with the bulge. JMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I wouldn't cut that barrel. It should still shoot fine with decent accuracy. If it was a blued gun, maybe. But, you will make a mess with nickel. The front sight has to be removed, made taller and soldered or welded back on. It will be ugh-ly! unless you have it renickeled. Also, it is worth more with the original, uncut barrel even with the bulge. JMHO.
Thanks Wiregrass! I don’t know I’m so attracted to this gun? But I am. Maybe what I’m looking for is not needed at all. The barrel bulge may just have to a part of its character.
Do y’all have any advice on loads to shoot down the pipe?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Do y’all have any advice on loads to shoot down the pipe?
Look for .44 Spl. "Cowboy action loads". A light loading is the way to go.

Reactions: Moburn

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Standard pressure .44 Special should work like a champ. Use lead bullets if possible.

Reactions: Moburn
1 - 14 of 14 Posts