Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.
Have a couple of things to ask. I have a nice used S&W 325NG revolver in .45 ACP. The front pinned Trijicon night sight is extremely dim and barely glows even in a pitch black room. I emailed Trijicon to see if a replacement front sight might be purchased that glows brightly but retains the same style and look as the original pinned sight. I have not heard back as yet.
Second issue, this revolver has many scrapes, two scratches and numerous small nicks in the frame. The cylinder and barrel are in very decent condition with no abrasions or scratches. Question being, is thee a way to renew and refinish this matte black frame surface, is this something a good gunsmith could accomplish? Just looking for some solid advice here.
Also, did some research in the S&W 4th Ed Catalog and I think I have found that the 325NG .45 ACP is an N frame. If I am mistaken, please correct my call. Thanks!

· Registered
94 Posts
Hello. I have one of those as well. The front sight on mine is an XS Big Dot, and it came that way from the factory. Double check yours, because you might have the same one. SCSW also says the XS was the original sight, and replacements are available. You are correct in that it is an N frame, round butt, with a lanyard ring port, but no lanyard ring. Lol. You can touch up minor dings with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and a q tip. ($16.99 at Amazon.) Here's mine with a fair picture of the front sight. Good luck!
Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the spot on advice! I had a hunch it might be a good idea to join this community. That Trijiconsight you have on yours, are there identifying marks on the top of the sight? Mine has "Trijicon" then what appears to be a "T" with a cross bar, followed by "H3 10" which I assume is the model number of the sight?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Numrich is next on the list to look at. I found a place called D&L Sports that I'll email, seems they specialize in larger frame S&W revolver sights. I don't mind paying a bit more if the sight works and looks presentable. Here is th elink in case anyone else is in the situation

· Registered
18,113 Posts
LOL! Yeah, my eyes are getting tired from looking at sights online. The frame touch up advice is great, thanks!
Those have an aluminum/scandium frame which is probably anodized, not steel so make sure to get the proper touch up item as described

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, an interesting turn of events. Trijicon sent me an email regarding my Night Guard revolver, they will replace the tritium vial to restore the function with a new one for $20 per sight. Turnaround time of approximately 4 weeks. Looks like problems solved and I can stop "window" shopping for a new sight....now back to my regular scheduled programs

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aebel69
What is the sight height of your XS Big Dot sight on your Night Guard? I talked to a gunsmith friend of mine morning and he suggested emailing S&W directly for the correct specs on the height of the OEM XS sights, which I have already done of course. Thanks.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I measured from the top of the ramp, to the top of the sight, in the center by the attachment pin. I get 0.175 to 0.177. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the help and info. I did some more research online and finally decided to cough up some cash to buy a digital caliper. If I need a hand tool more than twice, it's usually worth buying. Per the reading I did on Dillon Precision, the sight height measurement is from the barrel to the top of the sight. In a way, this is "ballparking" since my NG has the Trijicon sights. I'm seriously hoping Smith & Wesson gets back to me with the exact measurements, it would save me considerable aggravation...

Trigger Font Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aebel, was thinking along this line, your sight measurement was "I measured from the top of the ramp, to the top of the sight, in the center by the attachment pin. I get 0.175 to 0.177. " That measurement diagram of course is for pistols but prompted me to get some calipers of my own. I did find a XS Standard Dot sight measuring 0.180 inches. A little bit of extra "meat" that can be filed and fitted by my local gunsmith I think.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
all is well....got a reply back from Smith & Wesson with good tech specs. Looks like a done deal, now time to put in my order for new sights....

Smith & Wesson Support <[email protected]>
To:L G

Fri, Aug 19 at 7:25 AM

Hello Larry,
We would like to thank you for your e-mail and for contacting Smith & Wesson today.
The front sight on that model has a height of .180" It was an XS night sight. Our part number for it was 412000000.
Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson products. Have a great day.

Regards, Steve

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Never figured out why anyone needs fancy sights on a hand gun, especially night sights. If you are going to use it for anything other than plinking, you'll never use them anyway.

Only revolver I have and sort of optic on is my 44 because I hunt with it. Everything else has conventional sight blades front and rear.

I consider all of them as nothing more than a gimmick.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts