Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve never replaced a trigger assembly in a ar. Do all ar 15 have the bolt in the grip you have to loosen to replace the drop in trigger

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
The AR-15 is a standardized Military Specification based platform. There are variations and customization from some vendors, but most receivers are standard.

There is a mounting bolt in the base of the hand grip that must generally be removed to disassemble the trigger assembly. You should be able to find any number of assembly videos on YouTube, or get a shop manual or government issued armorer's manual like:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/Army M16A2 and M4 manual.pdf

IIRC the grip bolt holds captured a spring and indent pin involved with the safety / fire selector.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
I ve never replaced a trigger assembly in a ar. Do all ar 15 have the bolt in the grip you have to loosen to replace the drop in trigger
Yes, all ARs have a grip screw.

No, not all aftermarket triggers require removing the grip to replace the trigger.

The reason to remove the grip is to remove the safety which sometimes is required for aftermarket cartridge type triggers to maneuver into place. IIRC, my Timney wouldn't fit without first removing the safety, but my Wilson Combat slipped under the safety no problem.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on the new trigger. In any event, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, all ARs have a grip screw.

No, not all aftermarket triggers require removing the grip to replace the trigger.

The reason to remove the grip is to remove the safety which sometimes is required for aftermarket cartridge type triggers to maneuver into place. IIRC, my Timney wouldn't fit without first removing the safety, but my Wilson Combat slipped under the safety no problem.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on the new trigger. In any event, it's no big deal.

That reminds me, I want you to help me pick some triggers for my two DPMS Recons.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
That reminds me, I want you to help me pick some triggers for my two DPMS Recons.
Hands down best deal and top quality are LaRue triggers. They offer both two stage and single stage triggers (single stage just recently came out). Even Geissele fanboys regularly comment that the LaRue is on par. I have a LaRue two stage. When LaRue triggers were first introduced they were $250. The rumored story (and you know how BS travels) is that Mark LaRue and Bill Geissele got into some type of pissing match so Mark decide he was going to sell his triggers for under $100 just to squeeze him. True or not, the reality is that you can now purchase either the LaRue MBT-2S or MTB-1S for $80 Christmas pricing (usually $87). I say all this being a Wilson Combat single stage fanboy spending nearly $250 for their TTU several years ago.

I got an MBT-2S at Christmas two years ago.

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.44.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.46.58 AM.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts